• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Spools interchangeability between models.....

hullcitytilidie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was looking for a spare spool for my Shimano Stradic 2500. I searched online for a price using the model number of the reel. :eek: The price was horrendous. I then looked on an exploded diagram of the reel for its part number and also noticed the part number was the same as on a different model so searched by that model number, £20 cheaper!
Sent for it and received yesterday - exactly the same spool, same part number just a different colour anodising on the highlights. ( which I prefer!) Had my vernier gauge all over it to confirm, weighed both, put new one on and works a treat! - We are getting ripped off methinks?:unsure:

I was looking for a spare spool for my Shimano Stradic 2500. I searched online for a price using the model number of the reel. :eek: The price was horrendous. I then looked on an exploded diagram of the reel for its part number and also noticed the part number was the same as on a different model so searched by that model number, £20 cheaper!
Sent for it and received yesterday - exactly the same spool, same part number just a different colour anodising on the highlights. ( which I prefer!) Had my vernier gauge all over it to confirm, put it on and works a treat! - We are getting ripped off methinks?:unsure:
There are many products exactly the same, that are branded under a different name.
No surprise there.

Not the most expensive reel but I used ABU Cardinal 176 swi for kayak fishing as they get a regular salt water dunking. They come with a spare spool. As they’ve had a long production run, when I buy replacement reels I save the old spools. I’m just a cheap skate really.

Not the most expensive reel but I used ABU Cardinal 176 swi for kayak fishing as they get a regular salt water dunking. They come with a spare spool. As they’ve had a long production run, when I buy replacement reels I save the old spools. I’m just a cheap skate really.
Although I generally use Multies for sea fishing, I use Abu 174sw's and Jarvis Walker 2000 size fs reels for tidal river fishing mullet and sea trout etc. Again I always save the spare spools from the old ones.

Last edited:
Can any body please put me on to a web site/seller ,who has daiwa bg 8000 spools for sale ,iv searched evry were and cant find one

Can any body please put me on to a web site/seller ,who has daiwa bg 8000 spools for sale ,iv searched evry were and cant find one
Mike
If you look on fleabay they have some for sale. Apparently the Nero one fits as well.
Alternatively try Blackdog Tackle, he repairs reels etc and may be able to help.

Last edited:
Just ordered one direct from daiwa ,soooo im happy now ,and a chap from Swansea sied he is getting new penn spools in February and will send me one asp

Sent for it and received yesterday - exactly the same spool, same part number just a different colour anodising on the highlights. ( which I prefer!) Had my vernier gauge all over it to confirm, weighed both, put new one on and works a treat! - We are getting ripped off methinks?:unsure:
I use a Quantum Drive 30 for bass lure fishing and was delighted to find that many parts including the spool are interchangeable with the Quantum Throttle 30 which it replaced. PH

Can any body please put me on to a web site/seller ,who has daiwa bg 8000 spools for sale.
Daiwa produce several models based on the BG with many shared parts.

I saw some spools for the BG Nero variant on Pecheur.com at £17 so thought them worth a go.

The larger Nero spools (4500, 6500 & 8000) are a direct fit on the BG. The Nero spools do not have the ball-bearing beneath the drag stack, and no recess to add one. The drag washers are felt not carbon, but carbontex washers are available from Blakdog.
The larger Nero spools fit the BG reels OK - result!

Not so good with the smaller spool 4000 size.
The BG spool bearing is not inside the spool on this size, but sits on the shaft beneath the spool. Again there is no recess on the Nero spool for this bearing. So the smaller Nero spools do not fit, unless you have a lathe and can machine the recess.

So for 4500 and bigger, the Nero spools fit, for 4000 and smaller they don't.

Daiwa do not seem to publish the schematic diagrams for the BG Nero reels. The BG diagrams can be downloaded from several sites.

I got the Nero spools from Pecheur.com delivery was a week longer than promised but was fully tracked with DPD.
https://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-bobine-supplementaire-daiwa-pour-moulinet-bg-nero-189031.html

Details of the BG variants. http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/bgspw.html

hi all ,, well iv got my spools sorted out ,thanks to daiwa uk who have got me a spool for my bg8000 , and big thanks to felindreinnovations who has sorted out the spair spool for my penn spinfisher V1 9500 , im happy now

hi all ,, well iv got my spools sorted out ,thanks to daiwa uk who have got me a spool for my bg8000 , and big thanks to felindreinnovations who has sorted out the spair spool for my penn spinfisher V1 9500 , im happy now
Just need to get out and use them now!

Just need to get out and use them now!
Yeahhhhh very true but these reels are for Scotland later on in September for the skate hopefully, but could do with some local fishing first seems ages since I last whent fishing

Back