• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Squid & Cuttle Instructional Piece

CKB

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi guys,

Sea Angler's latest issue was out yesterday, if any of you are interested in learning about squid and cuttle fishing; I've written quite an expansive piece for the magazine.
255390934_6323736167700523_3690396199477678783_n.jpeg

If it's not of interest, please ignore it, as I have no intention of spamming you guys.

SquidDaylight12.jpg
I hope you enjoy the read, I think I sent them 90 images of different squid and cuttlefish.

Cheers,

Chris

Nice one Chris! ??

We tend to get more Cuttle than squid at this time of the year, which is the traditional Squid season.

The Brixham trawlers will be out in the bay, scooping up the black gold. One of the smaller boats came back a bit overloaded last year and I believe still holds the Brixham fish market record for one landing ....... £270K

Especially with Cuttle, I always annoy the bastid's at the landing net with the boat hook, to make them squirt the ink before they come onto the boat.

Its a really interesting article, in a good magazine. Cliff Brown has been consistently producing decent mags with an array of decent writers/anglers for a while now and not having Paul Fenech on board has definitely helped in my opinion.

On the subject of cuttles you mention the need to get the jig really close to the bottom, in France I watched an old guy catch numerous cuttles in bright daylight on a helicopter style rig. It was 1/2-1oz weight tied to the mainline and then a 18in snood tied to the top of the lead eye/loop, he then had a standard squid jig with the weight removed so it wouldn’t snag in the snarly ground of the marina. All he did was lob it out, as soon as it hit the deck he would lift the rod slightly and just retrieve it very slowly bouncing along the bottom. Incredibly effective and great to watch. Not sure I would do it with one of your beautiful yet pricey yamashita warm jacket lures though, could become a very expensive trip!!

Thanks mate. It's interesting, as because of the tides, them being strong and the large body of water directly alongside the harbours, a fixed paternoster works well at times for the squid. I even had squid take a half a mackerel dead bait twice the other night while trying for huss, conger and tope. WIth the cuttle they are usually glued to the bottom, in that first 1-3ft, but, if you use survey (rubbby dubby), they'll come up to the surface. I think the rigs like a fixed pat work because the tide creates the movement and rattles the jigs. Quite often we have to use a rig like that as the winds and tide is too strong.

I saw the article completed for the first time yesterday, it was great to see it in the magazine. However, I wish a few more images had been used, as I think it would have brought it to life more (IMHO). I understand the time constraints of being an editor and personal preference.
Yes, Cliff is a smashing guy, with a lot of integrity, I speak with him relatively regularly, and I have two other articles submitted at present, which should be pretty good.

CKBSquid3NeedsEditLightSPots-Recovered.jpg

Mesquid343.jpg
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 11.33.38.png
Squid07-1.jpg
43c94e18-4d5d-45d0-aab7-e68de2dce0cb.JPG
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 11.35.39.pngScreenshot 2021-11-13 at 11.36.56.png
MeSquidHoldingIt-1.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Back