• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

SQUID

BRYAN M

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening all.
I,d love to catch a squid or two but living in Essex there's nowhere around here that I can.
Can anyone send me in the right direction to have a chance of bagging one, or more??
Alsoany there info you have on catching them would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers everyone...

When I fished in South Kent the closest place was Brighton Marina.

Use a squid jig, with a chemical light attached to it.

I was hoping to get a few myself this year and have made a rig where the jig is crimped and beaded on the shockleader via the swivel at the head end.

It casts well but as yet I have not really had a good go at them. I don't know if it will work, I've never caught one. Most use a lure rod and a jig weighted to suit.

There are lots around on Yarmouth Pier and in Freshwater Bay here on the IOW but you need a good moon and little swell to catch.

When I fished in South Kent the closest place was Brighton Marina.

Use a squid jig, with a chemical light attached to it.

I was hoping to get a few myself this year and have made a rig where the jig is crimped and beaded on the shockleader via the swivel at the head end.

It casts well but as yet I have not really had a good go at them. I don't know if it will work, I've never caught one. Most use a lure rod and a jig weighted to suit.

There are lots around on Yarmouth Pier and in Freshwater Bay here on the IOW but you need a good moon and little swell to catch.
I was thinking Brighton might throw some squid up, think I've read it too. I will research further before picking my destination etc, just thought I'd ask for advice on here first.

Can ask what jig/technique you used?
Various jigs can be bought at Weymouth Angling.Fish from the old pleasure pier,you can park there.Cast into the harbour entrance and use a sink and draw method or fish the jig under a float.

Fish off the right side into the channel.

Last edited:
I have tried about 4 times this year so far , very few being caught at the moment in plymouth
That Squid Jig you had last time we were out looked good John.
For those that weren't there, (!) it had a built in Red LED that automatically started flashing when it was in the water! 👍👍

Looks like Fladen do a similar one.

Last edited:
That Squid Jig you had last time we were out looked good John.
For those that weren't there, (!) it had a built in Red LED that automatically started flashing when it was in the water! 👍👍

Looks like Fladen do a similar one.
It is fladen Dave from Plymouth angling cheap just a couple of quid I think

It is fladen Dave from Plymouth angling cheap just a couple of quid I think
It that the store in Transit way? If they were that cheap, I might grab one! (y)(y)

Deal pier Reculver bishopstonr herne bay Hampton pier
Ramsgate dover there all around that part of coastline water needs to be clear
Some people double jig Some use a jig under a float Some just use a jig on the bottom with a very very slow retrieve to be honest it's boring

Plenty here in LymeBay............ I caught this monster last Saturday morning whilst using baited feathers for whiting. The orange in the pic is a reflection from a bucket, and my new iphone 14 pro max seems to saturate colour on close ups, I must spend some time on the setting :rolleyes:

IMG_1910.JPG

Back