• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Start of the bass lure season

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Having suffered a few blanks, awful floodwater and shocking winds, I was desperate to finally catch a bass on lures. The tide wasn't great, the viz was worse than I thought and there had been so sign of life when I visited the mark the previous week, but, the warm spring sunshine convinced me to have a go. It wasn't the best start when I got to the mark and found I hadn't put my lure bag in the back of the car, it was still at home! So armed with just 2 surface lures and an lrf shallow diving hard lure bought for me by my son, I had to give it a go. Well having been waist high in my waders I can confirm that the water felt cooler than anticipated, 2 hours in and the peak of the tide had gone, I was kicking myself for having left the soft plastics at home. Not a hint of a fish and I couldn't say I blame them as the sun dropped it got very cool quickly. More out of desperation and the need to tell my lad I had given his very generous gift its first outing, I put the LRF shallow diver on, 5 shorts casts later I got stunned as the rod tip pulled around and a small schoolie hit my lure.

Not an epic session, but, the start of my bass fishing season. As ever so many questions, why are the south Devon bass late on this mark after a mild winter? Why was there hardly any crabs and other edible delights around? When will the weather stay consistent, still had frosts 2 days in the week? It drives me mad, but, after that first hit, I don't care, I am addicted again, lets us hope for more and much bigger bass soon.

IMG_1844.jpeg

Aww that's great a fish on a special lure. Im guessing theres plenty more fish to come for that one its really nice having a sentimental attatchment to fishing gear especially when that bit of kit produces fish. Im a sucker for it. A Bass is a Bass mate well done.

Nice report Flipper! Blank avoided. 🎣🎣👍👍

Great report Flipper, off the mark too, nice Bass. Lovely pic... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back