• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Still catching.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
With my current mark producing plenty of bass last week, it would have been a shame not to go back there again for another go, and this time I would be fishing up to and over my preferred high water. First off was Tuesday evening and I arrived about 2 and a half hours before high to find perfect conditions, with flat calm, clear water with just the slightest hint of a breeze.

My confidence levels were sky high but sadly, despite there being numerous terns diving on the seaward side of the weed, and the occasional fish topping, the evening started off very quietly. Convinced that things would pick up as soon as the light started to fade, I fished on and sure enough as dusk approached the numbers of feeding fish slowly increased. Finally my efforts paid off and my lure was smashed for the first time of the evening. After a short but spirited scrap a nice 40cm fish was landed 😊.
Bass - 34 2023.jpg

This was just the start, and with fish topping everywhere I spent the next hour walking along the shore and casting to individual feeding fish. This was great fun and resulted in another 4 bass between 34 and 51cm 🥳.
Bass - 35 2023.jpg

Bass - 36 2023.jpg

Sadly my fun was ended prematurely when fish number 8 of the evening took me into the weed. After a proper tug of war I was gutted when my braid snapped and my Ruf Manic was lost to the deeps 😭.

After tying on a new leader I was back in the game within 10 minutes, but the feeding frenzy was over by then. I fished on for another couple of hours and managed 2 more schoolies around the 35cm mark, to bring up my 40th lure caught bass of the year,
Bass - 39 2023.jpg

but sport had definitely gone off the boil and so I eventually called it a night just before midnight.

Next up was Thursday evening and though the weather wasn’t as idyllic as it had been on Tuesday, I was still feeling optimistic and I hoped that the overcast conditions would persuade the bass to feed before dusk.

Again it wasn’t to be, but as the light started to fade I hooked into my first fish of the night, just as I had on Tuesday. It wasn’t a biggie but once more I started the evening with another nicely conditioned bass of 40cm (y).
Bass - 41 2023.jpg

This signalled the start of a mad half hour, during which time I caught another 4 bass to 50cm :cool:.
Bass - 43 2023.jpg

Bass - 44 2023.jpg

Bass - 45 2023.jpg

In among the bass, I was also fortunate to land a nice sea trout, which I estimated to weigh somewhere between 3 and 4lb, but as they usually do, it went completely bats**t crazy on the shore 😮 and managed to flip itself back into the water before I could get a souvenir photo 😱.

Strangely, soon after my 5th of the night the bass went off the feed as quickly as they had started and the next couple of hours remained completely bite less. The rain also arrived and conditions became a little less pleasant, so once more I called it a night at midnight.

So that’s another week done and 12 more bass added to the total, but though I’m yet to find anything particularly big, the season is still young and I’m hopeful that there’s a big girl out there somewhere, just waiting to say hello 😉.

Last edited:
Great report and lovely fish too. Nice pics as well mate. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back