• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Swanage in the rain. 1st Jan

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
One forecast said rain this evening and one said fine, both said that the wind would drop to a breeze so I took the waterproofs which turned out to be a wise move.
It rained fairly consistently for four hours but the wind did drop.

I thought that the Stone Quay at Swanage would be sheltered from any wind from the west and south and it's a place where species are fairly abundant.

stone quay.jpg

I started with a Rock Goby soon after the first bait was in the water, then a Corkwing, a small Pollack then a succession of Pout, another Rock Goby and later a couple of small conger. When they turn up it's a good indication that it's time to pack up.

It was good to be out again and the Goretex Camo jacket and overtrousers was tested and passed with flying colours.

I had expected a Shanny from down the wall but no luck today, plenty of time to get one. My target was six species and I managed five so not too bad.

The rain kept the 'caught owt yet' and the 'I went mackerel fishing once and you can catch them on bare hooks' types well away, even the dog emptyers stayed at home, which was good..

Well done sure you will get a load of species like last year . 40 odd wasn't it ? Think i had 12 or so last year lol

Back