• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Tackle for Bristol channel

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,

I’m planning to do some boat trips this winter chasing cod out of Cardiff ( so fishing Bristol Channel). It’s not something I’ve done before, all my boat fishing was inshore light tackle stuff.

What lb rods would you recommend? Some people tell me 12-20 and other have said 20-30.

Would you choose 7ft or 8ft?

I will be buying blanks and building them myself ( I love building my own rods)

Thanks,

Tom

Do you think uptiding will be the most common method? Or would an uptider work ok for both styles?

I’ve never done any uptiding so I best be reading
In the shallower BC waters off South Wales and opposite it is the more popular (and usually more productive) method.
But you need to cast from the boat so may or may not suit you.

I’d probably also get a ‘downtider’ too, perhaps 12-20 or 20-30.
An uptider isn’t really suited for that, especially if you need to use heavier leads in the strong tide.

Not easy to source uptider blanks with suitable glass tips ime. Let me know of you do find any please👍

Yep it’s proving to be difficult!! I’m really hoping that zziplex re releases their uptide blanks as they seemed to be held in high regard. I might try to find one in used condition and re build it.

In the shallower BC waters off South Wales and opposite it is the more popular (and usually more productive) method.

An uptider isn’t really suited for that, especially if you need to use heavier leads in the strong tide.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think il get one of each. No harm in taking them both with me on the boat and using what ever suits.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I think il get one of each. No harm in taking them both with me on the boat and using what ever suits.
Obviously depends how busy the boat is but a lot of people fish one down tide and one uptide, it covers all the bases then.
Assuming there’s space to do so - the ones that start putting extra rods out on an already crowded boat aren’t popular lol

Obviously depends how busy the boat is but a lot of people fish one down tide and one uptide, it covers all the bases then.
Assuming there’s space to do so - the ones that start putting extra rods out on an already crowded boat aren’t popular lol

I’m planning to go with a group of friends only, it will be much more expensive but it will give space for more rods and a more pleasant experience. It’s been on my bucket list for years so I want to enjoy it as much as possible

I’m planning to go with a group of friends only, it will be much more expensive but it will give space for more rods and a more pleasant experience. It’s been on my bucket list for years so I want to enjoy it as much as possible
Best way. Worth paying a bit more each to have space rather than being rammed in on a mixed ‘public’ trip

Would you go multi or FS for uptiding?

I’m comfortable with either, just thinking a FS would make casting easier when flicking from side of the boat.

Would you go multi or FS for uptiding?

I’m comfortable with either, just thinking a FS would make casting easier when flicking from side of the boat.
People use both. I use a multi but as you need to cast outside the boat it is a bit awkward.

I’m not a huge FS fan and especially on boats but that’s totally just me - nothing wrong with using one if you prefer, quite a few do.

Would be inclined to use mono on the uptide gear, braid on anything else

For everyone that’s recommended uptiders.

What length would be most suitable for a charter boat? I don’t want to be causing havoc with a rod that’s too long.

For everyone that’s recommended uptiders.

What length would be most suitable for a charter boat? I don’t want to be causing havoc with a rod that’s too long.
I only own a couple but they’re typically a similar length I think?
Without checking, I believe mine is eight foot or so, might be a bit more

Yeah I’ve seen them go from just over 8 to nearly 10ft! I like the sound of the 8ft 6, longer but doesn’t sound mental
Yep personally I’d think 10 is a bit unwieldy on a boat, so 8ft 6 sounds about right.
I’ve got a Greys, from the days when Greys were among the best, but couldn’t even tell you the length without checking, 8 something too I’d guess

Back