• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tapered leader knot.

concrete

Reaction score
I’ve been messing around with conti gear and using tapered leaders. Has anyone noticed how the modern lines don’t seem to like the double blood knot? I’ve been using a double grinner with five turns of each line and that’s been working a treat.

Last edited:
The grinner/uni is a stronger and more reliable knot than the half blood in all situations.
I can't think of a good reason to use a half blood to be honest.
I have been using this Knot for my Tapered leaders for years, never had any problems mate.. And I can whack a lead. ;)

Ian.

If a whiting spins around your braid leader, it makes a horrible mess. I supposed I could try a fused braid
I’ve been useing them for years mate in those scenarios you just cut the snood length into pieces the reason I use them is you get such a small knot when tying to mono takes a bit of getting use to haveing no stretch but personally feel the pros out weigh the cons put it this way I had a 80 lb jabraid leader onto 28 lb dawia tornement braid and it lasted for a year an a half I will add this was for mainly chisel and clean beaches down my way but still impressive

I have been using this Knot for my Tapered leaders for years, never had any problems mate.. And I can whack a lead. ;)

Ian.

I don't doubt it for a minute Ian.
But your knot shouldn't be seeing any strain during the cast. It's when you're retrieving that the knot is under pressure, especially if you need to pull from a snag. It's a fact that a double uni is over 10% stronger than a blood knot. There are stronger knots than a double uni. But I use it as I can tie it with my eyes closed with cold wet hands.

I don't doubt it for a minute Ian.
But your knot shouldn't be seeing any strain during the cast. It's when you're retrieving that the knot is under pressure, especially if you need to pull from a snag. It's a fact that a double uni is over 10% stronger than a blood knot. There are stronger knots than a double uni. But I use it as I can tie it with my eyes closed with cold wet hands.
You are probably right about the double Uni, but like I said, the double blood has always served me well, and 99% of my beach fishing is over clean ground here, so the knot is not normally put under much pressure. And with a tapered leader the knot is tiny, and as you know I only use multis, and the knot goes through the guides so much better... (y) And tends not to rip your thumb open like larger knots can do.. ;)

Ian.

You are probably right about the double Uni, but like I said, the double blood has always served me well, and 99% of my beach fishing is over clean ground here, so the knot is not normally put under much pressure. And with a tapered leader the knot is tiny, and as you know I only use multis, and the knot goes through the guides so much better... (y) And tends not to rip your thumb open like larger knots can do.. ;)

Ian.
The main thing is you have confidence in what you're using 👍 If it works it works.
There's no way a uni will slice your thumb though. The tag end sits parallel to the main line. It also creates a very small knot.

Tapered leader is okay over clean ground but I wouldn't ever want to use them myself. I'd lose too much gear. Heavy braid leader every time for me.

Doesn't matter what Knot is used, they will always be the "Weak Link". We just have to trust the Knots we tie, but there is never going to be a 100% safe one in my opinion anyway. (y)

Ian.

Last edited:
Actually heavy braid straight through mostly but I'm not using a conti rod I suppose.

Back