• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The Century Fireblade GT's

Had an email from VMO yesterday about them, and i am not going to buy any.... ;)

Ian.

I have seen the 14ft version in action on the channel reefs.
Looked a very nice rod and cast well with a 6 & 7oz weight that was being used at the time.

Looked similar to the carbon tip version which I love, but with better bite detection.

Well worth a look if you're after a glass tip rod with plenty of power, that won't break the bank!

Si

Century seem to be producing more of their cheaper range of rods just lately, maybe to offset the drop in sales of the premium range, which have increased in price quite a bit... (y)

Ian.

Century seem to be producing more of their cheaper range of rods just lately, maybe to offset the drop in sales of the premium range, which have increased in price quite a bit... (y)

Ian.
AFAIK they are very busy producing their premium ranges, and the new rods are more as a result of the original carbon tip Fireblades selling well, and customers asking for a glass version 👍.....the plan was always to expand the Fireblade models, if anglers liked them.

I personally think it's great that you can now get British made rods at a cheaper price than the top models which many anglers can't justify buying due to these tough times we are currently in.

AFAIK they are very busy producing their premium ranges, and the new rods are more as a result of the original carbon tip Fireblades selling well, and customers asking for a glass version 👍.....the plan was always to expand the Fireblade models, if anglers liked them.

I personally think it's great that you can now get British made rods at a cheaper price than the top models which many anglers can't justify buying due to these tough times we are currently in.
You are probably right Si, if we want more people to take up sea fishing they need to be able to afford half descent kit, and Century are helping them get British made rods at a good price point...(y)

Ian.

So, looking on the VMO website, the new Fireblade GT's are the same price as the non GT's, 14' both £325, 13' both £275, not bad prices to be honest...I must not keep looking.... 🤣

Ian.

Ian.
Hi Ian,
Obviously hardly anybody knows the nationwide or international sales figures. I can share some insight that I think is perhaps relevant. Since the ceasing of Zziplex production, and the previous demise of Conoflex, Century don't have a premium rod competitor. By that I mean, they are a manufacturer who chooses to manufacture in the UK, with 44 years experience, using the most modern materials and processes, with no expense spared. They keep reinvesting in the best equipment. IMO the other manufacturers trying to compete in that space are invariably importing from South Korea, or China, from warehouses, that don't have the same level of experience, and perhaps profitability and volume is placed above quality. I know Asian factories have tried to copy Zziplex and Century blanks without success. That happens if what you are doing isn't a passion, and it's just a means to make money. Century have ended up with their premium rods competing with each other. I think there have been price rises, which are present because of the hyper-inflation caused by C19, Ukraine conflict, the printing of money, spiraling energy costs and carriage/supply chain issues. Not many of us realise that we had to be earning around 15% more than last year, just to be back in the position we were in early 2022. Money has devalued, we are worse off. When times are not so favourable economically, the only way to ensure your survival is to compete for every customer that's out there. That's exactly what Century have done. The Fireblade began development before any market dip, and it seems very fortunate timing. The sales of those rods have been insane. It makes perfectly logical sense to release subsequent models, different lengths and different tips, because people demand these things. The pool of anglers is much larger who will spend between £200 and £325 on a rod. Not everyone can afford £500-£600.
In conclusion, I think what you're seeing is just the brand competing in an area they haven't before and doing well. Nobody this side of the pond really understands that Century can't make enough rods for the USA, they export a lot of rods there, and they can't service more than two states (the US is enormous). Perhaps we should be grateful that a British brand is doing well, despite it being tough out there. Its a tragedy that we have lost heritage brands like Zziplex and Conoflex.

So, looking on the VMO website, the new Fireblade GT's are the same price as the non GT's, 14' both £325, 13' both £275, not bad prices to be honest...I must not keep looking.... 🤣

Ian.
I think that's a real winner. Just about anyone else would have said; well we're using glass, adding value, let's charge more, Century haven't. I think the success of Century's Fireblade is largely due to how much value it offers.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Cheers.

Hi Ian,
Obviously hardly anybody knows the nationwide or international sales figures. I can share some insight that I think is perhaps relevant. Since the ceasing of Zziplex production, and the previous demise of Conoflex, Century don't have a premium rod competitor. By that I mean, they are a manufacturer who chooses to manufacture in the UK, with 44 years experience, using the most modern materials and processes, with no expense spared. They keep reinvesting in the best equipment. IMO the other manufacturers trying to compete in that space are invariably importing from South Korea, or China, from warehouses, that don't have the same level of experience, and perhaps profitability and volume is placed above quality. I know Asian factories have tried to copy Zziplex and Century blanks without success. That happens if what you are doing isn't a passion, and it's just a means to make money. Century have ended up with their premium rods competing with each other. I think there have been price rises, which are present because of the hyper-inflation caused by C19, Ukraine conflict, the printing of money, spiraling energy costs and carriage/supply chain issues. Not many of us realise that we had to be earning around 15% more than last year, just to be back in the position we were in early 2022. Money has devalued, we are worse off. When times are not so favourable economically, the only way to ensure your survival is to compete for every customer that's out there. That's exactly what Century have done. The Fireblade began development before any market dip, and it seems very fortunate timing. The sales of those rods have been insane. It makes perfectly logical sense to release subsequent models, different lengths and different tips, because people demand these things. The pool of anglers is much larger who will spend between £200 and £325 on a rod. Not everyone can afford £500-£600.
In conclusion, I think what you're seeing is just the brand competing in an area they haven't before and doing well. Nobody this side of the pond really understands that Century can't make enough rods for the USA, they export a lot of rods there, and they can't service more than two states (the US is enormous). Perhaps we should be grateful that a British brand is doing well, despite it being tough out there. Its a tragedy that we have lost heritage brands like Zziplex and Conoflex.

I think that's a real winner. Just about anyone else would have said; well we're using glass, adding value, let's charge more, Century haven't. I think the success of Century's Fireblade is largely due to how much value it offers.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Cheers.
Thank you CKB, very informative, and you are right, we keep losing the British built rod makers like Zziplex, Conoflex etc. Century are i would say the only remaining "Premium" rod makers left, and long may they continue.. (y)

Ian.

I wish Century would bring out a 13ft6/14ft 3-5oz rod either Graphex/Eliminator/Fireblade range like the old TTL/TTSMLD, know the have the TTUL/TTSMLD in graphex but, why only 13ft??
Why do you need a 14ft + fishing rod?

Back