• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East The Kent Grand Slam - Part DEUX!

Action Man

Reaction score
It was only a couple of weeks ago I was fishing next to Stormtrooper and we were talking about the 'Kent Grand Slam' (sizeable Hound, Ray & Bass), and in a matter of days, he had accomplished that task to which was duly reported on here.

Anyway, I really wanted to properly target Smoothounds for the first time, as I've only ever had a few pups before as bycatch to a bass session. I arrived at my North Kent low water mark at 6pm for the 6:30pm low tide, and to my surprise, no one was there - must have been because so close to work and dinner for most people. I came armed with a bucket of fresh peeler crabs and got my first bait sent out. After 30 minutes I didn't get any interest, but as soon as the tide turned the rod started bouncing and I had a nice small female ray on the rocks.

125B42C5-9A38-48DD-BB82-881FAE6CA6E7.jpeg

My next cast produced nothing, but on my third cast, my line kited round to the left but not much action on the rod tip. I decided to leave it a while until something developed. Upon reeling in it became obvious I was into something big, I knew it was a ray as it felt like it was hugging the bottom. It was hard work of heaving to get it in, only to find it was the smallest ray I have ever caught, but was completely tangled up in the line causing some serious drag on the retrieve.

AD87F10D-FF1D-4DFE-9591-177A5BE39839.jpeg

Then things went a bit mental. My next bait took a nice pull down on the rod and a slack line. Not messing about in this snaggy venue I quickly retrieved to be met with some decent resistance, once again it felt like a big ray only to get the fish in close and it shot off 50 yards down the beach like a rocket, me quickly adjusting the drag to avoid losing it. Yes - my first proper smoothound on! Once I finally landed it, I treated myself to a few selfies before returning. I don't weigh fish, usually, just measure them (well only bass, to be honest), but I got my pics and then released the monster.

AC444CD4-4C86-4B2A-8B7E-DD02ED8E0335.jpeg
345B1F34-0C5F-417F-8014-4BE05BE1FA4C.jpeg

I was totally buzzing by this point, was the Kent Grand Slam insight? I sent more peeler to their death and this resulted in 2 more Smoothounds on back-to-back casts, both slightly smaller than the first but equally hench. As the tide started to flood quickly I found myself retreating and setting up on the bigger rocks. At this venue, you should normally call it quits as it gets way to snaggy, but I thought let's keep going until I lose a set of gear. I switched tactics and started to cast closer in, about 20-30 yards aiming for some gullies I had previously been standing in hoping a bass might venture up. Didn't take long before the telltale rattle of a doggie found the bait! I quick re-bait and I knew this had to be my last cast as the tide was screaming in now. A nice lob out to the gully my final bait went and I set my drag and sat back. A few minutes later, yep the rod slammed over and a nice 48cm Bass was there for the taking :)

CD593627-CDBD-4EC0-B087-FAA7B07BD277.jpeg
CAC7AA4F-68D2-4733-9B80-AEC0E294C33D.jpeg

So what a night that was, certainly one to remember with the Kent Grand Slam to boot. After a disastrous and cold 6 weeks previous, this was some much need action to reset the mojo!

Final totals:
x3 Hounds
x2 Rays
x1 Bass
x1 Doggie

Until next time

Alan

Top work Alan mate and well deserved!!

lovely evening out mate ...need to get the sea rods back out !!

Thanks chaps! Last night I returned to the scene of the crime and managed one ray and four more hounds. What a belter of a week!

254EF624-9573-414F-A6DA-B2A2BF8D335C.jpeg
F5294065-0F49-4F8B-9015-336C62184137.jpeg
7B239C37-C6D9-4234-9472-BAAF091A5F11.jpeg
556919EE-3710-4BD1-BD91-9CC858A75303.jpeg

Back