• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West There be Unicorns

bananas

Reaction score
After watching a vid on Youtube of a guy fishing Dunster beach, I thought its been ages since ive fished there, so made plans for yesterday, John didnt fancy the drive, but Martyn (rockmarks) who lives up that way did, so we met in the car park at 5pm and decided where to fish, we had a good bit a time as the tide was still a fare way out.
So got set up and by the time both rods was ready and baited the tide had come to us, perfect. Didnt have any bites for the first hour but as soon as the tide got further in and slowed a bit, tap tap and first fish was on and its what I was hoping for, a Cod, superb, not a big one at only 12" but had me cheering, slung the lug and squid bait out again and went to chat to Martyn, when the rod went again, a quick run back, which surprised me that I could run that fast!!, fish on and this one came to the surface quickly, a strap, brilliant, another new species for me.
Over the next hour I manage 4 more Codling all on lug and squid, all was the same size tho, nowt bigger, then as high water came the bites stopped for a while.
A few bait changes but nothing happened till the tide was a hour down and beginning to pull a bit, when I had a nice slack liner, a nice fight on the way in and a dogfish was out the murky water.
Was quiet again after that, Martyn had snagged a Pouting, but the Cod was eluding him, I gave him a few lug try which resulted in a double shot of small Dogfish, after them we decided on making the last casts before packing up. Good ole last cast magic worked and had a cracking bite, lots a head shakes on the way in and my first sizeable Cod for a good while came out, at just over 14 inches, it got another cheer from me.
The other rod was well weeded up so think we made the right decision to pack up when we did.
Bloody orrible drive home in the rain and fog, but that didn't wipe the smile off my face for having a good session up there.

IMG_20220501_185144.jpg

Great report & photos Bob! Well done on the Coddies and the Slimy Strappy thing for your species hunt! (y)(y)

Nice beardy... seems to be a load around that size at various places round the country ....
Been said a million times but hopefully they survive to next year etc etc

Back