• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia They’ve landed

Chrisbl

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Following the recent foul weather I thought it time to make a trip to the sand and see what was occurring, bait ordered and work tidied away for the week I arrived with a fair bit of optimism. The weather was unseasonably warm with a gentle southerly breeze when I arrived and parked up and hunted for change for the reasonably (not) priced ticket and survey the beach from this vantage point. High tide was going to be high indeed and timed for about half eight which gave me the last three and a half hours of the flood to fish, happy days. Making my way down I was stopped and asked by two people about the fishing there , species and effects of the sand scaping, itching to get down there and full of enthusiasm I continued on my journey and walked a fair distance past my usual spot and set my stall for the evening ahead.No seals to be seen and even the amount of dogs seemed less than normal as I set up and launched some bait into the wet stuff and sat me arse down with a brew enjoying the weather. Now things were quiet, for some time actually with untouched bait which meant no crabs but more importantly no fish, no matter I thought as I kept on at it and then it happened. I had a hunch as to how things were going to pan out through the evening as the first whiting made their presence known, now there are whiting and there are whiting but these wee things were something else, I laughed to start off with. Rigs were changed for larger hooks and bait but to no avail in fact they were getting so small they were falling off the hooks as I lifted clear. To cut a long story short I actually lost count but numbers were considerable so when the weed arrived in the last hour of the flood and I had gone down to one rod only,I quickly decided to call it a day and pack up and bugger off home. I have posted a picture so you can see the sort of size I am talking about.

Ladies the whiting have landed.

Attachments

• BE320DF3-94DF-4B9A-9030-A0679AF9E83F.jpeg
    BE320DF3-94DF-4B9A-9030-A0679AF9E83F.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 16
10 out of 10 for effort Chris! Good write up though. ??

We get a few pins but used to love a good whiting session on pound plus fish, but seems to be very rare these days here
I was out in the Thames yesterday and among the pins were some decent to large whiting, and a few bass. Biggest tings I've seen for a long while. got me thinking of the 'C' word too.

Ooh, that’s south coast fishing over until April then!

We don’t actually see many of them around my way now.
I won't mention the six I caught at Ilfracombe this week then, all just in size

I won't mention the six I caught at Ilfracombe this week then, all just in size
It doesn’t surprise me, right time of year and they’ll be there if anywhere.
But once you could go out most nights in November and December here and expect a half decent bag of whiting, doesn’t happen as much now.
I’m not talking 40 years ago either.

It doesn’t surprise me, right time of year and they’ll be there if anywhere.
But once you could go out most nights in November and December here and expect a half decent bag of whiting, doesn’t happen as much now.
I’m not talking 40 years ago either.
There was very little else, what a snag pit that place is now, more lost crab nets and other assorted crap than mini species close in

Back