• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast This is what a quiet session on Hurst Shingle bank looks like. Saved by the bream!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Buoyed by the reports of Cod coming out from Chesil to Portsmouth, and also being hopeful of an undie or spotted. l decided to have a go in the fog on the bank. Usual fish the ebb and this time on a morning tide.
20230811_084417.jpg
1 Big bait rod, one with a two up one down with size 1 0 hooks and a scratching rod with size 4 hooks. Various baits and combinations tried. Also distances.

Nothing.

There were a few cuttlefish bones on the beach and in my boredom, l walked along the beach and collected one or seven!

I have seen some amazing beach art pictures of late, with eyes and a fantastic tiger, which must have taken all day to do.

Started arranging then the old OCD kicked in and things started getting arranged and moved, then l changed my mind and changed it again and well the end result was this, made in between regular bait changes
20230811_121526.jpg
20230811_124544.jpg
Time to pack up and the tide was now low and it was so quiet. Packed everything away, just the scratching rod to pull in and, oh there is something on here. It was nearly 1lb gutted, so a decent lunch.
20230811_131022.jpg
Good luck if you are out people.

Nice report & photos Goatee! The Bream saved the blank! 👍👍🎣🎣

Buoyed by the reports of Cod coming out from Chesil to Portsmouth, and also being hopeful of an undie or spotted. l decided to have a go in the fog on the bank. Usual fish the ebb and this time on a morning tide.
View attachment 49857
1 Big bait rod, one with a two up one down with size 1 0 hooks and a scratching rod with size 4 hooks. Various baits and combinations tried. Also distances.

Nothing.

There were a few cuttlefish bones on the beach and in my boredom, l walked along the beach and collected one or seven!

I have seen some amazing beach art pictures of late, with eyes and a fantastic tiger, which must have taken all day to do.

Started arranging then the old OCD kicked in and things started getting arranged and moved, then l changed my mind and changed it again and well the end result was this, made in between regular bait changes
View attachment 49858
View attachment 49859
Time to pack up and the tide was now low and it was so quiet. Packed everything away, just the scratching rod to pull in and, oh there is something on here. It was nearly 1lb gutted, so a decent lunch.
View attachment 49860
Nice report and pictures, loved the art work!

View attachment 49857

Nothing.

View attachment 49858
View attachment 49859
View attachment 49860
Hi,
Do you find that the section you were fishing on the Milford side of the groyne/boulder outcrop is less weedy than the other side as you go up towards the elbow and the end of the spit or is there little difference? Out of sheer force of habit and also I guess because that’s where most anglers go I do tend to gravitate to the other side of the groyne but I can’t say that it’s a choice based on any fishing logic. Also where you were is less of a hike! Any thoughts appreciated.

Fantastic report Goatee, and lovely pics as well. Nice Bream to save the blank, all's well that end's well. Love the "Artwork" too mate... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Hi,
Do you find that the section you were fishing on the Milford side of the groyne/boulder outcrop is less weedy than the other side as you go up towards the elbow and the end of the spit or is there little difference? Out of sheer force of habit and also I guess because that’s where most anglers go I do tend to gravitate to the other side of the groyne but I can’t say that it’s a choice based on any fishing logic. Also where you were is less of a hike! Any thoughts appreciated.
I had no problems with weed, this time, but have had before. l think it is worse towards the elbow and my worst sessions were further West on the beach. l had a cod where l was fishing last year. The lack of a hike is always a draw! I often go further along myself. I reckon if the fish are in, they are all along, same with the weed. Just got to go with what floats your boat at the time, mind you if you blank at least you are not knackered as well!

Back