• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West This morning's Blank report. ??

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As mentioned in the early hours, trouble sleeping again, so just after 5am, I thought I'd make the best of a bad situation and go for a Dangle. Debated whether to bother with a Blank report, but since it's called Fishing and not catching, I thought I'd put one up for the Team!

Had a large Coffee & a chat to Wifey, and on the road just after 6.15am. Fishing gear was ready to roll so grabbed 2 Rods & my wheely box. Went out to Mountbatten, the usual favourite venue at this time of year for Mackerel. Had dreams of Mackerel for Brunch or Lunch, so frying pan was on stand-by.

Glorious morning as the Sun got higher in the Sky, with a pleasant cool breeze. Nice & quiet as I strolled along the Pier with only 4 others Fishing in sight. Vast difference from the last trip. Just as I got on the Pier from the Car Park, I thought I saw some fish on the surface so quickly set the lure Rod up with a Seeker, but it must have been a trick of the light on the water - nothing doing. Strolled on down the Pier and got near to the end - another guy was fishing the end spot so stopped just short.

1661858726733.png

Certainly a fine morning to be out & about, but shame the fish didn't agree with me! Tried 3 different SG Seekers and absolutely nothing doing. Kept an eye on the others that were fishing and didn't see a single thing caught. I was going to kit up my Bass rod with some Sabikis but didn't see the point if there were no fish there.

Unlike last time we were out there, not a single baitfish or sandeel to be seen, and no Gulls working the water either. The boulders on which the Pier is built made a bit of a mess of the finish on my new Black surf seeker - I thnk if I buy any more, I ought to consider gving them a couple of coats of Acrylic Lacquer before use. Them boulders don't take any prisoners!

1661859064136.png

Had a chat to another Guy who was there fishing with his Wife - they were there when I arrived, and he said they hadn't had a single nibble on their float gear or lures, and he was out there last night for quite a few hours, and his total score was one small Garfish. True what they say - if the Fish ain'tt there, you ain't gonna catch 'em!

Do love our local council for putting a few 'Bait Blocks' along the Pier - very useful for Bait and cleaning your catch! ??

1661859809884.png

Twas nice to get out though, and I decided to stay until 9.30am. I started having my 'last cast' at 9.30, and as it went around to 10.00am, the wind was getting up and I was picking up a lot of those long stringy bits of weed. Time to go.

I'd put a small shopping list in my pocket as I left home, and decided to pop into the Lidl store in that area on my way back. Pleased I did - lots of bits reduced, including some packs of Maple cured Bacon, so no Mackerel but it's Bacon, Eggs & Mushrooms for lunch! ??

Well done on getting out mate. I don’t generally like early mornings but sometimes it is nice to get to marks when it’s early an nobody is about!

Great report mate, and lovely pics, shame you never caught, but i believe it's not all about catching. ;)

Ian.

Well done on getting out mate. I don’t generally like early mornings but sometimes it is nice to get to marks when it’s early an nobody is about!
Haha! You & me are pretty much out of the same mould for early mornings! I hate 'em. I think over 20 years working nights has got something to do with it, and even after 3+ years of not working, the body clock hasn't changed! I wouldn't have gone if I'd been able to sleep!

Great report mate, and lovely pics, shame you never caught, but i believe it's not all about catching. ;)

Ian.
Thanks Ian - I agree. Bit of sunshine and fresh air is always good for the soul, and I think we've had our Summer so gotta make the best of the good weather that's left! ??

Great report mate, shame the fish did not play ball. Still a bad days fishing is better than a good at work ????

What a nice place to be Dave on a nice summers morning, mackerel seem to be a bit hit and miss at the moment

Good effort mate btw if it’s ever slow like that again try baiting your sabikis your be surprised if fishings slow they can still produce bud ?

What a nice place to be Dave on a nice summers morning, mackerel seem to be a bit hit and miss at the moment
Last time we were over there we both saw hundreds of Baitfish or Sandeels swimming below the seaward side of the wall. Nothing at all yesterday.

Good effort mate btw if it’s ever slow like that again try baiting your sabikis your be surprised if fishings slow they can still produce bud ?
Didn't have any Bait with me Tats. The idea had crossed my mind when I arrived, but couldn't catch anything for Bait! Didn't even put the Bass rod together to chuck out some Sabikis, as nobody was catching anything from both sides the full length of the Pier. Some people were casting lures or Sabikis, and some were float fishing with Bait, but didn't see a single fish caught. Almost like the sea was empty!

Pity about the lack of Mackies mate. Hats off to the council I think those bait blocks are a cracking idea. ??

As mentioned in the early hours, trouble sleeping again, so just after 5am, I thought I'd make the best of a bad situation and go for a Dangle. Debated whether to bother with a Blank report, but since it's called Fishing and not catching, I thought I'd put one up for the Team!

Had a large Coffee & a chat to Wifey, and on the road just after 6.15am. Fishing gear was ready to roll so grabbed 2 Rods & my wheely box. Went out to Mountbatten, the usual favourite venue at this time of year for Mackerel. Had dreams of Mackerel for Brunch or Lunch, so frying pan was on stand-by.

Glorious morning as the Sun got higher in the Sky, with a pleasant cool breeze. Nice & quiet as I strolled along the Pier with only 4 others Fishing in sight. Vast difference from the last trip. Just as I got on the Pier from the Car Park, I thought I saw some fish on the surface so quickly set the lure Rod up with a Seeker, but it must have been a trick of the light on the water - nothing doing. Strolled on down the Pier and got near to the end - another guy was fishing the end spot so stopped just short.

View attachment 31636

Certainly a fine morning to be out & about, but shame the fish didn't agree with me! Tried 3 different SG Seekers and absolutely nothing doing. Kept an eye on the others that were fishing and didn't see a single thing caught. I was going to kit up my Bass rod with some Sabikis but didn't see the point if there were no fish there.

Unlike last time we were out there, not a single baitfish or sandeel to be seen, and no Gulls working the water either. The boulders on which the Pier is built made a bit of a mess of the finish on my new Black surf seeker - I thnk if I buy any more, I ought to consider gving them a couple of coats of Acrylic Lacquer before use. Them boulders don't take any prisoners!

View attachment 31637

Had a chat to another Guy who was there fishing with his Wife - they were there when I arrived, and he said they hadn't had a single nibble on their float gear or lures, and he was out there last night for quite a few hours, and his total score was one small Garfish. True what they say - if the Fish ain'tt there, you ain't gonna catch 'em!

Do love our local council for putting a few 'Bait Blocks' along the Pier - very useful for Bait and cleaning your catch! ??

View attachment 31640

Twas nice to get out though, and I decided to stay until 9.30am. I started having my 'last cast' at 9.30, and as it went around to 10.00am, the wind was getting up and I was picking up a lot of those long stringy bits of weed. Time to go.

I'd put a small shopping list in my pocket as I left home, and decided to pop into the Lidl store in that area on my way back. Pleased I did - lots of bits reduced, including some packs of Maple cured Bacon, so no Mackerel but it's Bacon, Eggs & Mushrooms for lunch! ??
Trouble is Tramps your going to get frying Pan round head next time you mention fishing early morning!
As she got up and like a woman in Heat she was ready to Rumble and Pan on ready but bit like on a promise you didn't Provide!:oops:
Lidls might have Saved your day/Bacon?
But if we don't hear from you anymore we know you have been Curtailed!:eek:
:rolleyes:

Trouble is Tramps your going to get frying Pan round head next time you mention fishing early morning!
As she got up and like a woman in Heat she was ready to Rumble and Pan on ready but bit like on a promise you didn't Provide!:oops:
Lidls might have Saved your day/Bacon?
But if we don't hear from you anymore we know you have been Curtailed!:eek:
:rolleyes:
Not the case, safe as houses mate - the Dragon was off to work shortly after I decided to head out! Anything I might have caught (and the Bacon) was mine - all mine! ??

She won't eat any fish unless it comes out of the freezer already wrapped in Breadcrumbs or Batter anyway! ??

Not the case, safe as houses mate - the Dragon was off to work shortly after I decided to head out! Anything I might have caught (and the Bacon) was mine - all mine! ??

She won't eat any fish unless it comes out of the freezer already wrapped in Breadcrumbs or Batter anyway! ??
Dragon! What is it with the Sea air down there you have Dragons @Mr Fish has Goats! mind Cap'nBallbag has Puffins or dreams of them?

Back