• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

This one pulled a bit.

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Deep in the depths of Bouldner Forest is Bouldner Castle. It isn't a castle, it just has one castellated tower but is a good reference point when fishing between Yarmouth and Hamstead Ledge.
I regularly drop my anchor in about 500 yards out from said building and fish at the bottom of an underwater slope going from 10' down to 40'.
Bream can be plentiful along this bank but proved elusive this morning. The sea was full of tiny bits of dead weed, making the water murky and large rafts of weed on the surface were avoided by fishing directly off the back of the boat and close to.
My usual two hook rig, size 4's, one and two feet off the bottom on 12" hook lengths went untouched for over two hours until I noticed a tiny little knock that might save the session.
I picked up my rod and immediately felt a big weight on the end. The weight started to pull back and I immediately thought I might struggle to win this particular battle.
My first thought was smoothound, and after a few tense minutes I got a look at it. Lovely fish and very angry. Only just hooked with a 4, I was lucky to land her.
Netted and in the bottom of the boat for a picture before I slipped her back in, she swam away strongly immediately. 20230519_110142.jpg
Sometimes a single fish will make all the effort worthwhile, this was one of them.
So there I am sitting on my little boat, the tide turning, thinking of pulling the rods and making my way home when I heard a boat approaching from a few hundred yards away.
I looked round to see a large black rib heading straight at me so stood up to make sure they'd be able to see me then prepared to take evasive action.
Still it kept coming but was slowing so I assumed I'd been seen.
Looking again the word Police was now obvious and a few seconds later the rib pulled alongside crewed by three uniformed policemen.
"You alright"
"Yes thanks, you?"
Etc. Etc.
We then had a conversation about some strange things happening in the Solent and whether I'd seen anything.
I then told them that I volunteered for the NCI and they were interested in what we do.
Next thing was, " can we have a picture to show for community engagement purposes"
This resulted in one of them sliding off the side of their boat and into mine.
Email and phone numbers were given for a possible visit to the Needles Watch Tower to get a better understanding of what we at NCI do.
It made an interesting day.

Also worth noting, if you're up to anything strange in The Solent - they're onto you.

Last edited:
National Coastwatch Institution.
We watch for vulnerable craft from former Coast Guard stations.
Worth a look on the net if you get a chance.
The Station I volunteer in looks out over the Needles Channel and is directly above the Needles themselves.

One of the guys from Corwall I chat to is a member of the NCI - he did a video about it last year.

Hi Ian

Interesting report & well done.
Separate subject - what is the Crab & Lobster pub like now for food ? I have had one or two unflattering reports. Being a caulkhead, I do like to keep tabs on things and sometimes pop over to Bembridge.

I've been in there once and wasn't impressed, but that was a few years ago.
It used to be known as a fine eatery and things may have improved.

In answer to your query Coxy,the crab & lobster has gone right downhill,a mate of mine went in there the over day & he walked out. they never even had a chef ,a waiter was doing the cooking ,!!!!

Back