• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Thornback Rays

Dunno I've never kept any just can't be bothered with the faff and the earache when I get home it varies from look at the state of my kitchen to poor thing, that's why I just take the odd plaice or gurnard 🤣

I'd do the prep down the beach from experience...saves mess and because you're still at the venue it feels like less of a chore to me.
Can't wait to see Thrasher sorting his 1st ray with a small axe cue phone call to the police hello I've just seen a bloke waving an axe about shouting hold still ya bastard 🤣

Winging and skinning a thornback is easy.
Cut the head and tail off following the wing to leave a butterfly shape, the bit joining the wings should be about 1½ to 2" thick.
Cut the leading edge of the wings , about ½" in (not always needed but makes life easier for amateur Skinner's)
Cut through the skin (only) either side at the root of the wing (4 cuts)
Cut skin (only) from wing root to tip (again, makes life easier)
Now, the important bit. Use a pair of skinning pliers to pull the skin from the flesh. Start from the root of the wing pulling towards the tip.
This should be 8 pulls if you have done your cuts right!
At this point you should have 2 wings attached by a central point.
All that is needed is to portion up as required and vac pack and freeze 😃

Hopefully I've made it sound simple because it is.

Last edited:
Lol father fish is careful of asking for ray wings these days,he got too many when I was working on the solenets! I just winged them think my dad cooked them with the skin on? Probably a sustainable fish in certain areas, in Wales peeps pay charters to go catch rays,bullhuss and straps the Devon boys do it the same lol

Never targetted Rays, or eaten one, but I'd give it a go if someone put a Ray wing on a plate!
I would think they are sustainable.
Plenty of videos on Youtube on how to skin them & cook them.
One from GSP Sea fishing:

I knew someone who ate them a lot.
He had a wooden board with an angled nail banged into it at one end which he used to impale the wings and pull the skin off as the above video.
He also cut out the cheeks which he referred to as skate knobs.

Never targetted Rays, or eaten one, but I'd give it a go if someone put a Ray wing on a plate!
I would think they are sustainable.
Plenty of videos on Youtube on how to skin them & cook them.
One from GSP Sea fishing:

Wow, I'm amazed he's still got his fingers 😯
Shows the right steps and fair play for filming a how to.

I have watched some skate processing videos and one I watched does the cheeks, knobs and the segment at the tail, can't remember what he called that bit.

Lol father fish is careful of asking for ray wings these days,he got too many when I was working on the solenets! I just winged them think my dad cooked them with the skin on? Probably a sustainable fish in certain areas, in Wales peeps pay charters to go catch rays,bullhuss and straps the Devon boys do it the same lol
Don’t need to pay to catch straps, I could catch one in a cup of coffee 🙄

Wow, I'm amazed he's still got his fingers 😯
Shows the right steps and fair play for filming a how to.
There's a few "how to" Skate preparing videos on there Shirl - that was just the 1st one I found that looked good.

Back