• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Three trips.

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Firstly on Sunday afternoon to West Bay where PhilR had bagged up a few days before.
Everything looked good, the inflow of freshwater with its load of weed and leaves had stopped and the water was clear and calm,
and fishless.

wb.jpg
Four hours without as much as a crab.
What a difference a few days can make. I realise that I fished in daylight whereas PhilR fished in the dark but I have caught loads of fish there in daylight in the past; it's all very odd.

Next, on Tuesday, off to Boscombe Pier to hunt one of the eleven flat things* that are regularly caught there. I fished a rising tide, there was nothing at all in daylight and very little after dark, a typical bite, one whack and then nothing signalled a turbot, the first flatfish of the year.
For anyone unsure if they've caught a Turbot or a Brill, they look much the same, run your hand over the back, the Brill is smooth, the Turbot has little lumps all over it, you can see where the light highlights some of them.

Turbot.jpg
I had just one more bite and one more fish after that, a whiting, it's time to go home when they turn up.

Next, Thursday, a return to West Bay, fishing a rising tide an hour of daylight then into dark. It looked as if rain was coming in from the west but the wind had changed to the north so it skirted by, raining on Lyme Regis instead of me.

storm.jpg
Plenty of Five Bearded Rockling, they were in plague numbers including three at a time on two hooks.

three.jpg

Plenty of them and Pout to keep the rod tips going.
In between the Pout and Rockling a Plaice showed up and a fish bait cast out close the rocks found, not the Dogfish expected, but a fat Flounder, the first of two from that patch.
In all the score was eight Pout, one Plaice, nine Rockling and two Flounder, not bad for four hours fishing.

A look at the weather radar app showed rain moving in so I packed up and went, if I had remembered my food I might have stayed, fishing in the rain yes, when hungry and rain, no.

* Flounder, Plaice, Sole, Brill, Turbot, Dab and Undulate, Small Eyed, Spotted, Blonde and Thornback Rays.

Brill report..... yep I know its a turbot.
See this is me being nice because I think that you are going well this year and catching some nice fish especially given its the worst month of the year in my opinion.

I quite like being nice its in my nature and this is a new year and may as well be a new start........

How about we be nice and supportive and exchange punches for pleasantries, there is a post on here about harmony, how about it?.

Brill report..... yep I know its a turbot.
See this is me being nice because I think that you are going well this year and catching some nice fish especially given its the worst month of the year in my opinion.

I quite like being nice its in my nature and this is a new year and may as well be a new start........

How about we be nice and supportive and exchange punches for pleasantries, there is a post on here about harmony, how about it?.
I might be more convinced if you'd changed your avatar or explain to others why you use that one.

Nice report mate well done. I’ve still not caught a dorset Rockling….. may give it a go soon.

Nice session there mate!! Turbot is on my hit list too…. Tbh there isn’t a lot that isn’t on my list of things to catch 😂

So far it’s just been whiting, bass, dogs and covid!

Great report as always

Doing well on the species 👍

Nice report cap, doing well on the hunt so far too👍👍.
Have been thinking about trying the lures at westbay, but its a long drive to have them swim past it .

Well done cap'n.
Welcome to the three rockling on two hooks club.
I joined last year.

Well done cap'n.
Welcome to the three rockling on two hooks club.
I joined last year.
I wanna join, so need you and Haddock to keep them there. Only a week since my failed base jump though.

Firstly on Sunday afternoon to West Bay where PhilR had bagged up a few days before.
Everything looked good, the inflow of freshwater with its load of weed and leaves had stopped and the water was clear and calm,
and fishless.

View attachment 39434
Four hours without as much as a crab.
What a difference a few days can make. I realise that I fished in daylight whereas PhilR fished in the dark but I have caught loads of fish there in daylight in the past; it's all very odd.

Next, on Tuesday, off to Boscombe Pier to hunt one of the eleven flat things* that are regularly caught there. I fished a rising tide, there was nothing at all in daylight and very little after dark, a typical bite, one whack and then nothing signalled a turbot, the first flatfish of the year.
For anyone unsure if they've caught a Turbot or a Brill, they look much the same, run your hand over the back, the Brill is smooth, the Turbot has little lumps all over it, you can see where the light highlights some of them.

View attachment 39431
I had just one more bite and one more fish after that, a whiting, it's time to go home when they turn up.

Next, Thursday, a return to West Bay, fishing a rising tide an hour of daylight then into dark. It looked as if rain was coming in from the west but the wind had changed to the north so it skirted by, raining on Lyme Regis instead of me.

View attachment 39432
Plenty of Five Bearded Rockling, they were in plague numbers including three at a time on two hooks.

View attachment 39433

Plenty of them and Pout to keep the rod tips going.
In between the Pout and Rockling a Plaice showed up and a fish bait cast out close the rocks found, not the Dogfish expected, but a fat Flounder, the first of two from that patch.
In all the score was eight Pout, one Plaice, nine Rockling and two Flounder, not bad for four hours fishing.

A look at the weather radar app showed rain moving in so I packed up and went, if I had remembered my food I might have stayed, fishing in the rain yes, when hungry and rain, no.

* Flounder, Plaice, Sole, Brill, Turbot, Dab and Undulate, Small Eyed, Spotted, Blonde and Thornback Rays.
Fantastic bit of hook wetting. Nice one

I wanna join, so need you and Haddock to keep them there. Only a week since my failed base jump though.
Sorry, I'm done with rockling. Only need one a year.
I will go back to West Bay when there are more species available.

Back