• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Thursday night catch report

John Mitchell

Reaction score
Met up with Trampster last night after hearing the big whiting were in , well they weren’t, but I had 5 pouting the biggest about a pound , it was just a 3 hour window at this mark .

Attachments

• B4A384ED-93C3-405E-BDDE-BEF811F24BB0.jpeg
    B4A384ED-93C3-405E-BDDE-BEF811F24BB0.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 6
  • B9B2AD90-CD36-4AC7-9A04-0C61FB394D62.jpeg
    B9B2AD90-CD36-4AC7-9A04-0C61FB394D62.jpeg
    836.2 KB · Views: 6
Well I was going to do a Thursday night fishing report, but since John has beaten me to it, and I blanked, I'll just tack a bit on here!

We had been talking about a usual Friday night venture, but since there are Guy Fawkes fireworks all around the foreshore and the Janners will be out in force, we brought it forward. It was great to get out for a few hours, do a bit of ?? and enjoy Johns excellent company and banter, but it were bleddy cold.

There was a Northerly wind blowing at times, and whilst I had taken about 4 layers for me top half, I only had one on me bottom half and me little legs were freezing! I don't know what went wrong with the fishing & not catching - I was using the same bait as John and putting it out in a smilar place, but nothing. I had a 3/0 Pulley Pennel rig with Mackerel strip in the hope of luring one of the big 'Tings John had mentioned - I tried big baits, small baits, and flappy baits (!) but they just weren't interested. The rod tip had a tremble on a few times, but nothing came to the hook and I think it was tiny Pout taking a nibble but not jumping on the hooks.

Never mind, we'll try again! It was a good Craic, and thanks to John for his company! ??

Unlucky on the Whiting both of you, but few fat Pouting there??, lots bigger than what i had.
Another couple weeks a think the big boys might be around, think everything is a bit late this year.

Unlucky on the Whiting both of you, but few fat Pouting there??, lots bigger than what i had.
Another couple weeks a think the big boys might be around, think everything is a bit late this year.
Looking at how late (and scarce) the Mackerel were this year Bob, I think you're right. Let's hope the 'Tings turn up en masse!

Something I didn't mention above - there was 2 old chaps fishing near us last night, and whilst I didn't see them catch anything on their rods, they had a couple of Prawn traps they were chucking out. Now, the last time I tried catching Prawns was rockpooling as a kid, and I remember they were all around 5cms long. John and I wandered over to see what they had in their buckets, and these Prawns were huge - 10cm +. One guy had a big bucket half full of them, and I've never seen fresh local Prawns so big! ??

Fat ol’ pout that!

Pouting's quite nice to eat, can always put a good pinch of curry powder in the flour before frying them up.
John did offer the Beastie to me, but I think it needed to be a bit bigger. I think I would have baked it whole (maybe head & tail off - don't like being stared at whilst cooking!) and teased the flesh away from the bones. WIth anything under a couple of pounds, you lose so much trying to fillet it.

John well done on some nice Pout???? I took the boys down to Elphinstone as I completely forgot about the fireworks, they caught a few fish, but, quite a few tiny pin whiting, so hopefully they are the vanguard for the bigger whiting?

John did offer the Beastie to me, but I think it needed to be a bit bigger. I think I would have baked it whole (maybe head & tail off - don't like being stared at whilst cooking!) and teased the flesh away from the bones. WIth anything under a couple of pounds, you lose so much trying to fillet it.
Gut pout straight away and keep them cold!!!!!!

Back