• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tilapia for bait???

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening folks

Got chance of a last minute escape.to NE coast tomorrow, but didn't have time to get properly sorted for bait, especially mackerel!
The wife was at the supermarket and I rang he to get some mackerel, she asked if I preferred smoked or with chilli, I said it was for fishing and raw would be best!
No fresh mackerel there.
So, I dashed out to Morrison's tonight, but all they had was TILAPIA.
I've eaten it before and it's alright, but I'm not a hungry cod or a greedy whiting.
My question is...
Has anyone in the history of sea angling ever used tilapia (& caught on it?)
I hear it is good for catfish, but I don't think there are many of them near Scarborough!
If it is a non starter, I'll just go coarse fishing (& get prepared better for next time).
Gutted as I did have a freezer full of mackerel until it went on the blink and defrosted.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated 👍
Cheers
Johnny

P.S. Tight lines to you if you are fishing this weekend :)

To me farmed Tilapia in supermarkets is similar to Bream

1675540799908.jpeg

You will find raw king prawns in most supermarkets, they work well enough, better than mackerel in my view.

I think it's a farmed freshwater fish, but don't imagine it will have the scent/oiliness of mackerel. Slipped up with not buying prawns.
Might just get stocked up for next time and do a bit of coarse fishing in local pond (which has always seemed very dull since I started sea fishing!)

Thanks to you all (y)

I think it's a farmed freshwater fish, but don't imagine it will have the scent/oiliness of mackerel. Slipped up with not buying prawns.
Might just get stocked up for next time and do a bit of coarse fishing in local pond (which has always seemed very dull since I started sea fishing!)

Thanks to you all (y)
Just to add a little more to this …. When the Mrs can’t get Tilapia she takes Gilthead Bream as it cooks and tastes very similar …. Definitely not an oily fish

I have caught Barracuda on Tilapia in the West Indies (Grenada) off the shore. Nothing else other than swimming crabs were interested. Tilapia are shite fish and live in polluted fresh water :confused:

Last edited:
Back