• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Town Quay, Southampton and no more fishing for me for a while.

I was just thinking great report and nice photos, and then I read of your mishap. Sounds bloody painful, but as others have said, thank heavens it wasn't worse. Hope you feel better soon Goatee. 🎣🎣👍👍
Thanks. My guardian angel did a sterling job. It was captured on my CCTV. I had a new hat on, as in the bass picture. It came off as l fell, so it closed up and doubled up. It then went under my head before l hit the ground and saved me from smashing my head on the paving. It could have been so much worse.

Town Quay, Southampton is under 5 miles from my home. The parking is easy, but limited time wise and expensive as most parking is. It has a real bad reputation for people getting parking tickets, but if you follow the rules, and read the signs, it is ok. Basically the end car park is permit holders Mon to Fri, 7am to 7pm. Other than that it is public. There are lots of species to be had there. I have had 13 species from there one year and reckon there are 25 plus to be had. You can have your rod 3ft away from your bumper. As l am writing this, I am wondering why I don't fish it more!

It is one of the few local deep water spots you can fish, which considering the size of Southampton water is pretty poor. Southampton has miles of frontage, but very limited access.

The wife was watching the tennis, I had it in mind to fish local, so off to Town Quay for a couple of hours. Set up on the end with 2 x 9ft spinning rods, species rigs, small hooks, 1 oz weights, just enough rag to cover the hooks. You can see my van and the rods leaning against the rail.
View attachment 39277
The next picture shows my luck or skill parking?
View attachment 39278
There is always lots of shipping traffic to see, ranging from the Isle of Wight Ferries, to some of the biggest container ships in the world.
View attachment 39279
View attachment 39282
I was sitting in the van out of the cold and wind and one of my rods was pulling hard to the right. I always bungee the rods to the rail, even when hunting for mini species and this was not a mini. No monster either, but a nice little bass tells me that at least there are fish to be had. Picture and back in.
View attachment 39280
Nothing much else to report, two bass and two whiting, but no target species. Decent enough few hours though and home in around 12 mins.

Hope the info is of some use to some of you.

No fishing for a while now.
Looks like I wont be fishing for a while and I definitely cant cast for a long time. Got home from the quay. Had a sarnie and decided to finish a few jobs. The last one of which was to add some flashing on the new garage I have just built. Job done and I was getting on the ladder to come down off the roof. The ladder slipped and l came down from the roof and landed on my back. I somehow avoided smashing my head, but I did dislocate my shoulder and if you have ever done it, it hurts, it hurts a lot. I have broken a few bones and crashed motorbikes and other stuff, but this was a new level of pain. My mate took me to A&E and 7 hours later I was back home with my shoulder back in place, bruised ribs, and back, and leg, and elbow! Stupid, but Very, Very, lucky 62 year old!

Gas and air anyone!
View attachment 39283
Still got worms in the fridge!
Ouch! I've dislocated my shoulder a couple of times playing rugby........yep it's up there on the eye watering scale. Get well soon mate.

Blimey mate, hope you get better soon with no lasting faults, climbing up ladders at your age thought you had enough sense for that :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

How do you do that?
You can't post video to here Goatee, so you'd have to put it on Youtube or a similar hosting site, and then put a link to it here. 👍👍

Nice report mate👍 good tips about the location too. I haven’t fished any Southampton marks yet and not because I’m from pompey!

Hope you heal up quick from the ladder escapade! Well at least at the age of 62 you still bounce alright!

You’ll be back out before you know it mate.

Hope your sorted soon, bloody painful and happens so easily. see it didn't take long for the giving birth comparison to come up, but we all know man flu and dislocated shoulder are faaaaaar worse🤕,
don't be a stranger on hear sure any tales and stories you have would be worth the read,
as for town quey see the developers have thier eyes on it again so make the most of it people you just know there won't be provision for fishing once they get on it.😔

So sorry Mr G. I will miss your reports during your furlough. Though not a species hunt guy myself (not to denigrate the bigger stuff you land both on your own and with Bazza) I love reading about your escapades. Get better soon.
R.

Town Quay, Southampton is under 5 miles from my home. The parking is easy, but limited time wise and expensive as most parking is. It has a real bad reputation for people getting parking tickets, but if you follow the rules, and read the signs, it is ok. Basically the end car park is permit holders Mon to Fri, 7am to 7pm. Other than that it is public. There are lots of species to be had there. I have had 13 species from there one year and reckon there are 25 plus to be had. You can have your rod 3ft away from your bumper. As l am writing this, I am wondering why I don't fish it more!

It is one of the few local deep water spots you can fish, which considering the size of Southampton water is pretty poor. Southampton has miles of frontage, but very limited access.

The wife was watching the tennis, I had it in mind to fish local, so off to Town Quay for a couple of hours. Set up on the end with 2 x 9ft spinning rods, species rigs, small hooks, 1 oz weights, just enough rag to cover the hooks. You can see my van and the rods leaning against the rail.
View attachment 39277
The next picture shows my luck or skill parking?
View attachment 39278
There is always lots of shipping traffic to see, ranging from the Isle of Wight Ferries, to some of the biggest container ships in the world.
View attachment 39279
View attachment 39282
I was sitting in the van out of the cold and wind and one of my rods was pulling hard to the right. I always bungee the rods to the rail, even when hunting for mini species and this was not a mini. No monster either, but a nice little bass tells me that at least there are fish to be had. Picture and back in.
View attachment 39280
Nothing much else to report, two bass and two whiting, but no target species. Decent enough few hours though and home in around 12 mins.

Hope the info is of some use to some of you.

No fishing for a while now.
Looks like I wont be fishing for a while and I definitely cant cast for a long time. Got home from the quay. Had a sarnie and decided to finish a few jobs. The last one of which was to add some flashing on the new garage I have just built. Job done and I was getting on the ladder to come down off the roof. The ladder slipped and l came down from the roof and landed on my back. I somehow avoided smashing my head, but I did dislocate my shoulder and if you have ever done it, it hurts, it hurts a lot. I have broken a few bones and crashed motorbikes and other stuff, but this was a new level of pain. My mate took me to A&E and 7 hours later I was back home with my shoulder back in place, bruised ribs, and back, and leg, and elbow! Stupid, but Very, Very, lucky 62 year old!

Gas and air anyone!
View attachment 39283
Still got worms in the fridge!
Careful bud, you won't bounce at that age, ask me how I know !

Back