• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Travel reel advice?

Dumnonian

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hello just after a bit of advice on a small reel for my new travel rod, Firstly not sure weather to get a small baitcasting reel or a fixed spool the weight is important and il only be fishing off the rocks and piers so wont need to worry about capacity too much, And iv never used braid before and would it be a good idea to try it on this set up im guessing 10lbish will be what i end up using. Has anyone got this sort of set up? what will be a decent reel and line? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as when i look online its just overwhelming choice. Lovely looking little rod only £55 and 43cm total packed length will fit in a suitcase easily, ideal.
Thanks Tim.IMG_4883.jpeg

Hi Tim. Looks a nice rod.
I'm no expert, but would advise a Shimano F/S reel, model dependant on budget. Probably about a 3000 size would be appropiate.
Unless you have experience with Multiplier reels, I would avoid a baitcasting reel, as they can suffer from overspooling & bird's nests similar to a Multiplier in inexperienced hands.
Braid around 10 - 20Lbs would be fine. Hope this helps.

Hi Tim. Looks a nice rod.
I'm no expert, but would advise a Shimano F/S reel, model dependant on budget. Probably about a 3000 size would be appropiate.
Unless you have experience with Multiplier reels, I would avoid a baitcasting reel, as they can suffer from overspooling & bird's nests similar to a multiplier in inexperienced hands. Hope this helps.
Hey thanks il have look at that reel, I pretty much have only ever use multipliers but was unsure if a tiny float and weight would be enough weight to actually cast it. I had a cheap Ryobi baitcasting reel roughly 30/35 years ago and it was a great little thing. Im guessing they've come on a long way since then also. The misses loves to have a go also she can (very dangerously) cast a fixed spool but as you said a small multi would result in spending more time picking out nests than fishing. That Shimano looks ideal thank you my friend.

I have used a 2000 sized fs reel for fresh water fishing, only use multies for shore & boat fishing.

Hey thanks il have look at that reel, I pretty much have only ever use multipliers but was unsure if a tiny float and weight would be enough weight to actually cast it. I had a cheap Ryobi baitcasting reel roughly 30/35 years ago and it was a great little thing. Im guessing they've come on a long way since then also. The misses loves to have a go also she can (very dangerously) cast a fixed spool but as you said a small multi would result in spending more time picking out nests than fishing. That Shimano looks ideal thank you my friend.

No problem. If you've had a Baitcasting reel before, then you'd probably be OK with it.
I've got a Quantum TG400CX here that I acquired, lovely little reel, bit I couldn't get on with it.

No problem. If you've had a Baitcasting reel before, then you'd probably be OK with it.
I've got a Quantum TG400CX here that I acquired, lovely little reel, bit I couldn't get on with it
They look like nice little reels the Quantum ones. Never seen them before, Look ideal.

I have a similar rod that I took to Greece, Spain, France etc. The rod was for saltwater lure fishing primarily, , with a Shimano Catana fixed spool, 2500 size I think, ,loaded with 15 lb braid that matched it perfectly.
I used it for flicking plastics and metals, and some LRF from the harboursides. Also used with a light float setup for Mullet. The rod was not designed for that but It worked a treat .

If you are going to be float fishing I would run a mile from any baitcaster , in fact for what you will be doing a fixed spool is relatively trouble free in any respect. A baitcaster , especially using braid is just a birdsnest accident waiting to happen for the unwary .
No disrespect to those of us who do use one . its just I am thinking about a person with little experience of a baitcaster being put in at the “deep end “

Dave

Last edited:
On a similar Abu garcia travel rod 15 to 35g iv been using a penn battle 3 3000 size...had no problems landing bass and mackeral on it with lures with just a quick rinse every few trips for years now.
Loaded with 20lbs suffix 131 braid which is the best braid iv found yet.

Hi thanks il look into that, Is the diameter of braid that much thinner than mono?
On paper it is, but id take the dia listed on the spool with a pinch of salt 😆
Main benifits, it casts much better off a FS than mono esp as strengths increase, and it has zero stretch, compared with loads of stretch in mono.

It also has downsides, it floats, you get wind knots, it can be a right pain in waves as will nod the rod tip constantly if bottom fishing....and can also constantly trip the lead if you dont have a soft tip on your rod.

So good for lure fishing, and heavy shore fishing....although its abrasion resistance is poor....so watch out for rocks 👍

On paper it is, but id take the dia listed on the spool with a pinch of salt 😆
Main benifits, it casts much better off a FS than mono esp as strengths increase, and it has zero stretch, compared with loads of stretch in mono.

It also has downsides, it floats, you get wind knots, it can be a right pain in waves as will nod the rod tip constantly if bottom fishing....and can also constantly trip the lead if you dont have a soft tip on your rod.

So good for lure fishing, and heavy shore fishing....although its abrasion resistance is poor....so watch out for rocks

Il stick with mono, Wont be casting far just off the rocks with a small float mainly maybe a bit of bottom fishing. 12lb is what il probably use and i wont need a massive amount iv decided on a 2500 size. But seriously thank you for your experience of braid. Im guessing if it aint broke........Thank you Tim

Also don’t take your reel with line in cabin luggage 😬
Unbelievable!! But yes i get it and thank you for the heads up. We were stopped at Bali airport as Sasha had a very small pair of plastic sissors the rounded edged small ones you get in a travel first aid kit. we didnt even know they were in there. She had to have her photo taken passport details etc and is now on an Indonesian immigration watchlist. She was not amused when i called her a criminal. Yeah i totally get the line thing.

Back