• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Treble or single?

Started out with the trebles the lures came with, moved over to full singles a few years ago and now I use a treble up front, with a single to the rear and the middle hook missing.
Reason; most lures swim better with full trebles and most poorly with single hooks only. Fish health is paramount, especially when the schoolies are on the feed and of course it’s safer for me too.
Always a compromise, but it’s the one combination that I feel is the right one.
You can use slightly larger singles, or add a little tungsten or lead tape/wire to help balance if needed.

Seen this question asked so many times, and seen so many conflicting answers. Treble hooks can do a lot of damage, and I've converted quite a few of mine to singles, or even double assist hooks.
I guess it's everyone to their own preference and experience. I have seen some folk say they were losing too many hook-ups with singles, so they have gone back to using trebles.

I'm in agreement with WW with the caveat of topwaters where 2 trebles definitely improve hooking ratio ime. I dont like triple sets of treble hooks on lures full stop - bad for the fish, angler and a nightmare in any net! There's a way round them by creating chains of split rings/swivels between the head and middle attachment loops to place one hook in the middle of where the oringinal two hooks would lie. Have a look at how the salmon spinnners adapt the Vision 110 etc with split rings and fuse wire too. I squeeze barbs carefully down to a rounded lump but not fully flat, this gives the best of both worlds (hold vs easy release). Fishing from a RIB makes you careful with all sharp objects 😉

Ive been out to local tackle shops this morning and spent a bloody fortune on lures most of them with trebles so bought a couple of packets of 4/0 and 3/0 hooks and some split ring pliers. I've gone down the single hooks route not on all of them but most of them.
What a pain in the arse and fecking fingers trying to swap them over🤬. I've flattened most of the barbs as well as I'm going to be releasing what I catch unless their absolutely fecked. Can't wait to give it a go just the fecking weather stopping me now.

You need to buy hooks from Ali express
Alot cheaper and lures if you know what to buy as some are shyte

You'll get used to swapping hooks - open the split ring and push the old hook off with the new one using the jaws of the pliers to shuffle the split ring round. Keep the new hook static in the other hand whilst simultaneously holding the lure. Sounds complicated but it's not. The old hook just falls off and voila the new hook is on.

You'll get used to swapping hooks - open the split ring and push the old hook off with the new one using the jaws of the pliers to shuffle the split ring round. Keep the new hook static in the other hand whilst simultaneously holding the lure. Sounds complicated but it's not. The old hook just falls off and voila the new hook is on.
I've just watched a video on you tube they dit the same way I had a go and nearly put a hook through my sausage fingers. I suppose I'll get the hang of it eventually 👍.

I'm in agreement with WW with the caveat of topwaters where 2 trebles definitely improve hooking ratio ime. I dont like triple sets of treble hooks on lures full stop - bad for the fish, angler and a nightmare in any net! There's a way round them by creating chains of split rings/swivels between the head and middle attachment loops to place one hook in the middle of where the oringinal two hooks would lie. Have a look at how the salmon spinnners adapt the Vision 110 etc with split rings and fuse wire too. I squeeze barbs carefully down to a rounded lump but not fully flat, this gives the best of both worlds (hold vs easy release). Fishing from a RIB makes you careful with all sharp objects 😉
, "Tay rigging" is what you would Google.

I got some but the rings on the lures were smaller than the end of the pliers. So I cut them off and replaced them with 8 mm rings the end of my pliers are 5 mm.

Back