• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Trident Roto Clip vs. Gemini Solo Splashdown

CoarseanglerSteve

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Bought some Trident terminal gear and really like it, but on my last session I encountered a couple issues with a roto clip not releasing. I am casting off the ground so really need some form of captive clip.

Have used the Trident version for the last few months and can only recall a couple times when it didn't release. I put those down to me perhaps not engaging the hook properly. However, with two instances on my last session I now have some doubts.

All the videos reviewing these clips use an unbaited hook, so the full bend of the hook is clear to be inserted. I am finding that when baited, especially with crab, the bait often encroaches onto the bend making it harder to insert the hook. (Should I be having the bend clear of bait?). I have tried inserting the hook point then easing it around so the bend is in, but it doesn't always sit nicely. Am only using 2/0 or 3/0 hooks, so well within advertised gauge capacity.

That maybe why I had the couple failures. Has anyone else any similar experiences or have any tips to ensure it releases? I do really like these clips so want to persevere. Have read some concerns about salt and sand affecting them. I admit I was re-using some and had not cleaned them between use, but they weren't obviously corroded or caked in sand!

I have used the Gemini Solo Splashdown, and find that works and is easier to engage. It's just so much bigger and more expensive! Have also read about them being prone to releasing the lead, unlike the Trident which cannot release the lead once attached to a rig.

Any thoughts?

Not the most experienced Angler here Steve, but I've has similar issues with both the Trident clips and some other basic rig clips lately, If you've got a fairly big bait or a big bunch of worms on a hook, it doesn't want to stay clipped down. Like you, I'm using 2/0 & 3/0 hooks. Not tried much Gemini gear, as like you said, it is so much dearer compared to Trident.

Bought some Trident terminal gear and really like it, but on my last session I encountered a couple issues with a roto clip not releasing. I am casting off the ground so really need some form of captive clip.

Have used the Trident version for the last few months and can only recall a couple times when it didn't release. I put those down to me perhaps not engaging the hook properly. However, with two instances on my last session I now have some doubts.

All the videos reviewing these clips use an unbaited hook, so the full bend of the hook is clear to be inserted. I am finding that when baited, especially with crab, the bait often encroaches onto the bend making it harder to insert the hook. (Should I be having the bend clear of bait?). I have tried inserting the hook point then easing it around so the bend is in, but it doesn't always sit nicely. Am only using 2/0 or 3/0 hooks, so well within advertised gauge capacity.

That maybe why I had the couple failures. Has anyone else any similar experiences or have any tips to ensure it releases? I do really like these clips so want to persevere. Have read some concerns about salt and sand affecting them. I admit I was re-using some and had not cleaned them between use, but they weren't obviously corroded or caked in sand!

I have used the Gemini Solo Splashdown, and find that works and is easier to engage. It's just so much bigger and more expensive! Have also read about them being prone to releasing the lead, unlike the Trident which cannot release the lead once attached to a rig.

Any thoughts?
Sometimes you get the point on inside of outer part easily done but that makes it sometimes not release.
I use most types for certain rigs/conditions like wishbones with small hooks=splashdowns. bigger singles Roto esp airialised cast as OTG can trip them.
Also use the kickers work ok on pulleys/where snood is tensioned.
Also use the OTG impact shields https://www.breakaway-tackle.co.uk/otg-impact-shields work well for big baits/hooks with a slack pulley as hook is held

Back