• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Trip to Poole

Si-fly

Reaction score
Had to go to Poole to look at a van, so met up with good mate Richard for a tiddler bash.

Makes a change from the local reef fishing. Generally use a 1-8g and a 4-28g, then some light beach rods /carp rods for the bit bigger stuff.

Unfortunately it was big springs again with a very bright full moon, and those 2 combined to make things tricky!.... Weed, as expected, was a nightmare on a number of marks we tried. And the rays just didn't want to play down southbourne ☹️

Things got off to a good start for my mate with bream, red mullet, and a ballians wrasse amongst other stuff before I even joined him!.... However as I joined him the weed came through ?

What a pain and we were just about to move, when it cleared for a bit. I took advantage and found a few black gobbies, ballan, Corkwing, and a black bream. IMG_20210921_103207_resize_91.jpgA nice start and with weed returning we moved.

Just a quick stop somewhere out the tide and weed!
Gobbies were the target and a few wrasse before moving on looking for a Scorp.
I grabbed the tiny rod and attached a
22 hook ?. With that I looked over the edge and saw 4 mullet.... Biggest looked around 7lb+....with the rest 4-5lb.... Wow monsters! Just cruising round they were, so I shouted back to my mate, and he grabbed his mullet gear while I went for a sand gobbie ?

I got the sand gobbie, then a little flounder shot out and took the bait....IMG_20210920_132431~2_resize_95.jpg Nice, as I saw these last trip but didn't catch any. Then a surprise common gobbie, and some more blacks and wrasse.

While these were coming out I heard this panic cry..... "need the net"..... Mate was into one of the smaller mullet... Second cast, after missing one first cast.... No way!!
A good fish, finally was in the net, going 4lb 12 ish with the net taken off.... A beauty and I think PB.

Time to move again for the scorpion.
However they decided not to ay ball, so no scorp, but added smelt, rock gobbie, pollack, pout, and shanny, along with more wrasse and 4 fat Tompots ?
IMG_20210920_154213~4_resize_29.jpg
Time for mates tea, and then a bit of thinlip spinning. Unfortunately the only action was a few follows, and a large number of lightly clad young ladies on paddle boards ?.... What a waste of time that was ?

Next mark and a bit of beach fishing for rays, sole etc.
This proved poor compared to what my mate had been catching recently. Just one undulate for him and 5 or 6 small sole. IMG_20210920_234010~2_resize_81.jpg
I faired no better, in fact no rays for me, but I did get a nice tub, and again plenty of sole (5) with the biggest of the night at 1lb. We called it a night at 2am.Screenshot_20210921_214144_com.facebook.orca~2.jpg

Up at 8am and working out where to go for more species, we decided to go back to the first spot and try for more red mullet and a dragonet.

This time it was a bit of a bass fest, IMG_20210921_095815~2_resize_36.jpgsmall fish mainly upto 1.25lb, with rock/black gobbies, wrasse for me and another nice little tub. IMG_20210921_112319_resize_4.jpgMate found a nice ballan and a better bass of 2.5lb before the weed hit again and we went and looked for a thinlip again in a little hole of a spot!

Sure enough I soon saw fish behind the spinner, big fish as well, but they weren't interested at all... Maybe thickys?
Anyway only had a spinner, so after 10 mins we were off to another mark for a goldsinny and possibly a 2 spot gobbie.

Started on the gobbies and had a load of blacks and a rock. IMG_20210921_100116~2_resize_83.jpg?. Wrasse time, after a few ballans and corkies got the goldsinny ?
Bass were then everywhere!... So on went a small metal and it was a bass a chuck for 10 mins... Around the 1.25lb +size.... Good fun on the 1-5g rod ?.

Fun over the last move for a gilt.
We didn't hold out much hope, as expected weed to be bad, but the mark was on the way home so no worries.

On arrival lads were already there and all blanking due to weed!... Not good, but we grabbed a rod each and gave it 20 mins.

I was first in with a 1lb bass then had some gobbies and a few 4" bass. Mate managed gobbies and a bass.

That was it... Packed and headed home with 17 species caught, and 21 including Richards diff fish ?

Cheers si.

Last edited:
Back