• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Trip west.

Si-fly

Reaction score
I've not been over to Minehead for ages, so with time on my hands yesterday I decided to skip the low and do an easy high session.

I also managed to talk a mate into coming for a bit of company..... He also had more diesel than me ??

Anyway was nice to get back over there on a nice evening, and find the beach basically empty, bar a holiday angler float fishing ?

Have to try that one day I guess over there. ?. At least it wasn't feathers!

Out went a mixture of squid, eel, and bluey, with the target being rays.

We both normally fish the same spot, so I went further along for a change fishing more tide. I hoped it would be OK as it was not the biggest tide.

I was in first with a little female spotted ?IMG_20210925_200555~2_resize_90~2.jpg

a lovely looking fish.

My mate then had a baby tope, followed by a nice male spotted for me. IMG_20210925_203617~2_resize_20~2.jpg
Then a 2nd tope for him, before I hook something which felt a bit better.
Not massive, but I hoped it was a SE, another target of the night.

Unfortunately giving it a bit of pressure to get it away from a snag, the hooks pulled ?

The tide then started to ebb, and my bites dried up!.... More tide than I wanted, and the reason I normally prefer the other spot ?

My mate then had 2 spotted rays, and then something much better. It was coming straight in and not kiting like a better ray, so thought poss eel.
He wasn't sure though as just felt odd he said.

Turned out to be target no2 a blonde ray of 13lb....lucky bugger.... Think ill go solo next time ?

I then had a dog, something for a species hunt so OK I guess.

Time for a move for me so I went down tide of my mate in to slacker water.

Still no bites and time was running out, when mate had a small huss.

Click click click...... Ah a bite!..... Nothing big but target no3 a little SE.. IMG_20210925_234530~3_resize_48.jpg
Now it was nearly time to go!... Then another run... Slack.... Then just as I was about to lift into whatever it was... It stopped moving!!..... 2nd time that had happened. I left it 5 mins but nothing was there.

Time to go and a few more species for a hunt.

Cheers si.

Last edited:
Back