• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Trip with the Mrs

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, just back from a few days in Cornwall/Devon with the Mrs.
Had a cracking couple of days in Fowey.
Mullet rods out for a few hours the 2nd morning for a couple of nice ballans, 2 bass, a dog and a black goby.PXL_20230709_070232950~2_MTI9yn292i.jpeg
PXL_20230709_060101295_MQIMacms1t.jpeg
Then the last day had a little rod out...11 Dragonets 👀, lots of Ballans and Corkwings, loads of painted, black gobys, tompot, loads of shannys and a couple of flounder....happy with that for a mornings dangle 😁PXL_20230711_063536892~3_g6e7VR9o0Q.jpeg
PXL_20230711_123110594~2_Yth9C6od77.jpegPXL_20230712_194630771~2_FpI7u08O3t.jpeg

Left Fowey and parked the van on the way home hoping for a few more species for my hunt...I had a couple of targets in mind which I hoped I could manage if things went well 😊

The first target was a 2 spot, I found them...and wow were they frustrating!...I spent a few hours in the evening going from spot to spot trying to get a proper bite, but just managed a couple of sniffs!...ah nightmare ☹️

I did manage plenty of other stuff but again missed the 2 spots.

Yesterday the wife was off for a cycle, so a proper half day session was planned, and wow..it went well.
I started on target 2....a Ringneck...and had one 1st drop 👀....never expected that...and like the Dragonets got another and another...landing 4 along with lots of Tompots and other stuff....crazy start.PXL_20230713_093020718~3_2ODCjfhv6t.jpeg
PXL_20230713_130531832~2_LjpDWWzA9i~2.jpeg

So round 2 on the 2 spots...after looking for a bit, I found a few, and dropped a bait down, again nothing, moved nothing...ah not again.... frustrating things. Had a chat with a passer by who offered a suggestion on bait...worth a try I thought, so back with a different bait...first drop down ...and a proper bite...got my 2 spot 😁PXL_20230713_104659280~2_LxgTQs6B5A.jpeg

Anything after that was a bonus, so off I went looking for a sand goby...didn't take long for one of those along with a painted, common and rock goby.PXL_20230713_110836385~2.jpg

Next I tried for a Mackerel...first cast hooked one....wow...crazy day!....then lost 1 and caught a 2nd before going back on the bait for another Ringneck, black gobys, pout, Pollack, poorcod, Ballans, Corkwings, shannies and Goldsinny.PXL_20230712_130830624~2_QcIXoovY1a.jpeg
16 species...total for the trip 20 species...never expected that, happy days 😃👍

Hi all, just back from a few days in Cornwall/Devon with the Mrs.
Had a cracking couple of days in Fowey.
Mullet rods out for a few hours the 2nd morning for a couple of nice ballans, 2 bass, a dog and a black goby.View attachment 48088
View attachment 48093
Then the last day had a little rod out...11 Dragonets 👀, lots of Ballans and Corkwings, loads of painted, black gobys, tompot, loads of shannys and a couple of flounder....happy with that for a mornings dangle 😁View attachment 48092
View attachment 48091View attachment 48097

Left Fowey and parked the van on the way home hoping for a few more species for my hunt...I had a couple of targets in mind which I hoped I could manage if things went well 😊

The first target was a 2 spot, I found them...and wow were they frustrating!...I spent a few hours in the evening going from spot to spot trying to get a proper bite, but just managed a couple of sniffs!...ah nightmare ☹️

I did manage plenty of other stuff but again missed the 2 spots.

Yesterday the wife was off for a cycle, so a proper half day session was planned, and wow..it went well.
I started on target 2....a Ringneck...and had one 1st drop 👀....never expected that...and like the Dragonets got another and another...landing 4 along with lots of Tompots and other stuff....crazy start.View attachment 48094
View attachment 48090

So round 2 on the 2 spots...after looking for a bit, I found a few, and dropped a bait down, again nothing, moved nothing...ah not again.... frustrating things. Had a chat with a passer by who offered a suggestion on bait...worth a try I thought, so back with a different bait...first drop down ...and a proper bite...got my 2 spot 😁View attachment 48095

Anything after that was a bonus, so off I went looking for a sand goby...didn't take long for one of those along with a painted, common and rock goby.View attachment 48089

Next I tried for a Mackerel...first cast hooked one....wow...crazy day!....then lost 1 and caught a 2nd before going back on the bait for another Ringneck, black gobys, pout, Pollack, poorcod, Ballans, Corkwings, shannies and Goldsinny.View attachment 48096
16 species...total for the trip 20 species...never expected that, happy days 😃👍
16 fish & not one big enough to eat!!!!
Only kidding
We I get to travel across to the coast I prefer a slightly bigger fish that I can cook & eat.
If I lived near the coast I suppose I’d be happy catching different species too

16 fish & not one big enough to eat!!!!
Only kidding
We I get to travel across to the coast I prefer a slightly bigger fish that I can cook & eat.
If I lived near the coast I suppose I’d be happy catching different species too
Lol, took 2 macky to eat 😆PXL_20230713_114835808.jpg
I've got sole and bass in the freezer 😉
This was a comp hunt while away with the Mrs 😁

Another great report and brilliant photos Si, even if most of it was Tiddler Fiddling! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Great report and a cheeky change of bait brings the result!
Ah those things are so frustrating 🤬....only ever caught 2 before, 1 grabbed the bait first drop and the other was just a blind catch dropping down to the bottom. Watching them just swim around your bait in clear water is a killer!

Nice mixed bag Si, great pics too. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back