• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Two hook running ledger rig

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Any mileage in having a two hook rig over the standard single bait? This is the favoured rig for the gilthead from the shore and want to try it but only one bait seems a bit like I am cutting my chances has anybody used a two hook / bait rig to improve the chance of getting a fish ?

Any mileage in having a two hook rig over the standard single bait? This is the favoured rig for the gilthead from the shore and want to try it but only one bait seems a bit like I am cutting my chances has anybody used a two hook / bait rig to improve the chance of getting a fish ?
A 2 hook rig is a regular thing down this way , 2 hooks 2 baits increase your chance of a fish

A wishbone rig is fairly standard in some areas, a three hook paternoster catches gilthead where I fish for them, they are not far out and are in shallow water. Short snoods seem OK so no bother with tangling.

Would such a rig cast far, or is that not needed ? I believe gilts usually come in pretty close?

Or is there a way to clip it?

What I usually use for my local estuary flounder fishing is a flowing two hook running ledger.
Really basic, just tie an oversized blood loop in a decent length of line, then cut it so you have a stand off snood.

Like this. Excuse the very VERY crude drawing on the phone, but the blue line is the two hook snood made from a single piece of line, the thicker blue blob is meant to be a swivel (lol) and the red loop is the weight running on the mainline/leader.

It will cast okay but I use maddies on it for the flounder and they won’t take power casting, lol, an absolute max of 50 yards is the most I’d ever need in the estuary, usually just a flick tbh.

Don’t laugh at my art, but you get the idea ???

F23E98EE-F3EB-4750-A781-590C997FA37C.png

I think to clip the rig for casting would need it to be an up and over rig so the hook at the end of the line could be clipped in the usual manner, then the stand off snood would need something like a breakaway relay clip to clip the hook to.
In theory it should work and cast nearly as well as an up and over rig.
The only bit I'm not keen on is the stand off blood loop, I hate tying them as they're so fiddly and I've have had one fail before. What I'd probably try is what I saw somewhere before where someone tied the stand off snood on a rig using a surgeons knot and then tie the snood round the rig body just above this in the same way a stop knot is tied, well, I think that was how it was done. It appears to be a much as safer way of tying it to me, probably unnecessary but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I think to clip the rig for casting would need it to be an up and over rig so the hook at the end of the line could be clipped in the usual manner, then the stand off snood would need something like a breakaway relay clip to clip the hook to.
In theory it should work and cast nearly as well as an up and over rig.
The only bit I'm not keen on is the stand off blood loop, I hate tying them as they're so fiddly and I've have had one fail before. What I'd probably try is what I saw somewhere before where someone tied the stand off snood on a rig using a surgeons knot and then tie the snood round the rig body just above this in the same way a stop knot is tied, well, I think that was how it was done. It appears to be a much as safer way of tying it to me, probably unnecessary but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I find them quick and easy to tie, but I did practice it a bit.
The trick I found is to really over exaggerate the length of the loop, then it can be trimmed properly to whatever length you want afterwards.

I agree, they’re not the strongest though. I only tie them for fairly modest fish - a flounder is never going to break it, or even a better bass, in an estuary setting.
I’ve had two break on fish, both times when trying to lift them out as I couldn’t get down to them.
Both were on a variation of it with a double blood loop to create a basic two hook flapper, not a running ledger.
One was intended for rockling close in and an approx 8lb huss took it. It snapped when trying to lift it out.
A similar occasion saw another break on a similar sized spurdog when the rig had been out for whiting.
I got a good look at both fish but the rocks and conditions didn’t allow me to get close enough and it was a heave and hope in both cases, I was expecting they might break.

So I’m circumspect where I use the blood loop but it has its place for me as it’s quick, cheap and easy to tie.
In an estuary or beach setting for gilts I think it would be fine as long as you didn’t need to deadlift the fish out of the water.

Although if it hooks an 8lb gilt I take no responsibility ???

Just to add, I don’t know where the OP is fishing or if distance casting is needed, but for lobbing out into an estuary or surf I think it would be adequate.

The blood loops aren’t THAT weak but they will snap under higher strain such as a snag or trying to hand line up a heavy fish.

Would such a rig cast far, or is that not needed ? I believe gilts usually come in pretty close?

What I usually use for my local estuary flounder fishing is a flowing two hook running ledger.
Really basic, just tie an oversized blood loop in a decent length of line, then cut it so you have a stand off snood.

Like this. Excuse the very VERY crude drawing on the phone, but the blue line is the two hook snood made from a single piece of line, the thicker blue blob is meant to be a swivel (lol) and the red loop is the weight running on the mainline/leader.

It will cast okay but I use maddies on it for the flounder and they won’t take power casting, lol, an absolute max of 50 yards is the most I’d ever need in the estuary, usually just a flick tbh.

View attachment 9287
I used to fish similar many moons ago but instead of cutting the blood loop to make the snood I made it relatively small and loop to loop connected snoods to it.

View attachment 9287
When you said crude drawing I was expecting a cock and balls

There are so many two hook rigs or ways to!
Wish bone either up and over.dropper or paternoster.
Loop rigs.Loop rig type but bottom hook is running and it involves top hook using an inverted cascade set up so holds bottom snood tight and both hooks go into splashdown.
theres Wessex rigs.Sheppey rigs probably Even Goat rigs which should please @Mr Fish

Just to add, I don’t know where the OP is fishing or if distance casting is needed, but for lobbing out into an estuary or surf I think it would be adequate.

The blood loops aren’t THAT weak but they will snap under higher strain such as a snag or trying to hand line up a heavy fish.
@jambop is down on the South West coast of france Fishy! It's on his profile! ??

Back