• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Two trips, including minis

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all.
Had a quick channel trip a few days back, and while quiet to start, ended with a rush of thornback to 8-9lb.... Nice, but not the cod I was after unfortunately ?

Anyway the highlight for me was a trip down south on a species hunt.
The location was marks around Poole with good friend and guide Richard.
IMG_20201201_081926~3_resize_60.jpg
We started with marks in the harbour, and I soon found a few gobies and wrasse, but it was a bit slow, with a number of spots not really producing bites at all.
Then just as we were about to leave the harbour I had a last cast 30y out, and to my surprise in came my 2nd ever scorpion... A monster of a fish.... Very happy with that ?
IMG_20201130_115950~2_resize_95.jpg

IMG_20201130_115923~6_resize_5.jpg

Next onto a mark for a flounder. Unfortunately we were a bit late and tide was dropping fast!... No bites so off we went again.
A spot outside the harbour this time, and fishing down to low produced a few more wrasse and 4 scopions!.... Doubled my lifetime total ?
IMG_20201130_153936~2_resize_66.jpg

Then a disaster.... I had a weighty lump on the lrf rod, thinking velvet swimmer, when up popped a flattie from the rocks, flipping about on the surface I was gobsmacked.... I'm pretty sure it was a Topknot... But alas a few seconds and it was off and gone.... Gutted I was, as never seen one before ????

Oh well win some lose some ☹️

Found a pollack after and moved to the pier.

This started slow for me, with Richard having a few SE ray.
Then as the tide started to ebb my side started to fish.. And first was a nice little plaice.
IMG_20201201_022744~2_resize_55.jpg
Then an undie, followed by a SE ray and a yting, before I had a real cute little teabag undie. IMG_20201130_220329~3_resize_57.jpg

Later I had a couple more rays and found a gar on a popup and some mackerel and scad on baited feathers.

After that a few hours kip in the van and back out for another try on the flounder.

One bite each later, and two fat little flounders on the grass... Ah 2nd time lucky.
IMG_20201201_104306~4_resize_5.jpg
Back to the rocks then for a shanny a chuck, some wrasse and a pollack.
IMG_20201201_125034~3_resize_4.jpg
Things then went quiet, and Richard had to go, so I moved again back to the harbour, and found a sand gobie and a few small bass before heading home as it got dark.

Cracking trip again and thanks to Richard as always for the marks ?

Cheers si.

Last edited:
Hi all.
Had a quick channel trip a few days back, and while quiet to start, ended with a rush of thornback to 8-9lb.... Nice, but not the cod I was after unfortunately ?

Anyway the highlight for me was a trip down south on a species hunt.
The location was marks around Poole with good friend and guide Richard.
View attachment 1953
We started with marks in the harbour, and I soon found a few gobies and wrasse, but it was a bit slow, with a number of spots not really producing bites at all.
Then just as we were about to leave the harbour I had a last cast 30y out, and to my surprise in came my 2nd ever scorpion... A monster of a fish.... Very happy with that ?
View attachment 1954

View attachment 1955

Next onto a mark for a flounder. Unfortunately we were a bit late and tide was dropping fast!... No bites so off we went again.
A spot outside the harbour this time, and fishing down to low produced a few more wrasse and 4 scopions!.... Doubled my lifetime total ?
View attachment 1956

Then a disaster.... I had a weighty lump on the lrf rod, thinking velvet swimmer, when up popped a flattie from the rocks, flipping about on the surface I was gobsmacked.... I'm pretty sure it was a Topknot... But alas a few seconds and it was off and gone.... Gutted I was, as never seen one before ????

Oh well win some lose some ☹️

Found a pollack after and moved to the pier.

This started slow for me, with Richard having a few SE ray.
Then as the tide started to ebb my side started to fish.. And first was a nice little undie, followed by a SE ray and a yting, before I had a real cute little teabag undie. View attachment 1957

Later I had a couple more rays and found a gar on a popup and some mackerel and scad on baited feathers.

After that a few hours kip in the van and back out for another try on the flounder.

One bite each later, and two fat little flounders on the grass... Ah 2nd time lucky.
View attachment 1958
Back to the rocks then for a shanny a chuck, some wrasse and a pollack.
View attachment 1959
Things then went quiet, and Richard had to go, so I moved again back to the harbour, and found a sand gobie and a few small bass before heading home as it got dark.

Cracking trip again and thanks to Richard as always for the marks ?

Cheers si.
Great report, has got me fired up about LRF?

Well done si,a fantastic array of species there mate.great report and pictures!! ?
Stand a good chance of a Lunker flat rat this time of year as well on some of these channel marks....
All the best si

Cheers lads ?. I do enjoy a fiddle Mr Fish ?..... Think I managed 17 species this trip..... Very happy with that given the cold NE winds we've had and dropping water temps.
I didn't mention that I had a bass of 6-7 lb chase my dropshot rig and roll on the surface as I lifted it out!!... It just came out the gloom as I lifted up the wall ?

Now that would have been a battle on the 1-7g rod ????

Nice species hunt!!! Don't know why but I've seen the odd topnot caught in lobster pots????? Also do you agree that the summer/winter species are a bit confused last few years?

Nice species hunt!!! Don't know why but I've seen the odd topnot caught in lobster pots????? Also do you agree that the summer/winter species are a bit confused last few years?
Thanks bud, as to species, up here in the channel we still seem to get winter/summer fish.... Cod/hounds etc.... But the rays seem to be around all year long?.... I am surprised that the Mackerel stay so long at places I've been squid fishing have them through the winter!

I've mostly used phone since being here but, if I find some mini's I'll get the DSLR out. Its like hurricane katrina here today. Rig making day I think.
Minis are tricky to get close enough, and focus with my phone, but can normally pick out a good shot.
Breezy and wet here... Not great! ?

Top fishing there mate, them pics of the scorp are cracking, well done on 6 of them. And very well done on the ray on light gear, would love one of them, that's a really good tally of species you had there (y) (y)

Back