• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ugly Stick, your thoughts please.

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've got a Ron Thompson 12-20 lb 7' 8" boat road. The spine of the rod is at about 45⁰ to the bend but as yet that's not posed any problems. I like it, I've caught fish with it and known they were there.

My other boat rod, a home built "1000lb, stand up, f**k-off unless you're a great white or walrus", is exactly as described, so a bit much for 2lb Bream, I'm not so keen, even though I made it.
I'm going to cut the rings off and use it to prop something up, a shed or tree or something.

So I need another boat rod. I'm thinking of an
8 - 12 LB Shakespeare Ugly Stick. I had a fiddle with one today at my local tackle shop and it feels nice, I like it a lot.

There is the 12 - 20lb version available, really nice stainless steel rings, sooooo pretty, I like that one as well.

My main targets will be bream, bass, pollack and mackeral and of course anything else that fancies a fight. In my dreams I catch red mullet, gurnard and turbot.

I'll be fishing the Solent out of Yarmouth, IOW.

Any thoughts anyone?

Still have a 20-30 Ugly Stik from the 1980s.Still in pristine condition.
They didn’t actually make 20-30 in the 80s I believe?
It would have been a 20lb or a 30lb? ?

At least I bought two after 2000 and they’re 12lb and 20lb, none of this marketing crap 12-20, 20-30 they do now.

At least I bought two after 2000 and they’re 12lb and 20lb, none of this marketing crap 12-20, 20-30 they do now.
???? I had a bet with myself you’d post something along them lines

Bought a Penn Senator 16-20Lb rod and a Penn 320GTI reel about the same time. Never got used, as my mate sold his boat 4 days later. Still here in the cupboard new & unused. Reel is a genuine made in 'Merica one.

Good choice Ian , hope you get a decent catch or 3 on it,tight lines for when you use it mate ????

For the sort of fishing your on about I’d go lighter still several multi tip rods around atm great fun with bream and alike my mate landed a 20 lb conger on his turburco multi couple of weeks ago so will handle the bigger stuff to nice little 6000 size reel even a pout whould be fun ? don’t cost the earth either

Back