• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Unexpected catch, West Bay

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Had a few hours this evening at West Bay; the usual small Pout, Whiting,Pollack and a Conger.
One bite looked different, the usual pin whiting niggle then a pull down.
In the dim light I thought I was bringing in some plastic debris along with the fish but it was a squid hanging on to its dinner.

A nice addition to the bait freezer.

squid2.jpg

Goateee jumped away from the first squid he caught when I told him they could bite, the damage done to the whiting shows how effective their beak is.

squid damage.jpg

Nothing new for the species hunt, I caught a Rockling but it was a Five Bearded not the Shore Rockling I wanted.

Nice report Cap'n ! ??

Nice!
I may try for my 5br later this week. They don't appear to be around in numbers. Maybe the squid are eating them.

Nice!
I may try for my 5br later this week. They don't appear to be around in numbers. Maybe the squid are eating them.

I'll be trying again for a Shore Rockling and a Coalfish, I think I'll take a squid catching thing I have and see if a whiting dead-baited on it will catch. I'll either cast it out onto the bottom or suspended it under a float.
I bought a couple, they are about 6" long, I've never tried them though.

squidspear.jpg

Back