• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West up early

bananas

Reaction score
Was laying there at 5.30 this morning looking at the ceiling and wondering should I try and go back to sleep or have a look out the window and see how the wind is out there, so there's me standing there, curtains slightly pulled back like a peeping tom, the trees aint moving, the weather men lied. Quickly got dressed, kissed the dog and patted the missus, saying just nipping out for a quick go down Stoke, chucked some spinners and bait in me bag, grabbed me rod and was off.
Was lovely and still when I arrived, tad chilly, but quite a few signs of fish moving around, hmm looks good.
Took a good few casts before hitting in to anything, a tiny Bass was the first out, followed by two of his mates, not what I was hoping for but better than nowt.
Some Swans came and investigated me, then buggered off after realising I wasn't going to feed them, couple more tiny Bass had taken the bait, but had been a good 20 odd mins since a nibble. Just going through the motions again, flip it out, slow wind in, flip it out, slow wind in, WTF, within 3 foot of the platform the water erupted and line screamed off the reel, feck me fish on! that really woke me up, after a few nice runs and jumps, he tired quickly and on 2nd attempt he was in the net.
Standing and shaking I looked down on a lovely morning Mullet, when I noticed its top lip was quite thin and small golden spot, hmm, I checked the pec fin and it went to nearly the middle of his eye, hmmm, could this be a golden bugger, went to the bag to get the species card out, Argghh no card!!, bugger, anyway better get him weighed quick, no scales!!! double Arggghhh, in my haste and blurry eyes Id forgotten to stick both in the bag, feck!!.
The hook had come right through his top lip and was bit a blood showing, so unhooked and straight back in the water, where he shot off. I then realised id only taken one pic, so hoped that was enough for IDing him.
A couple more small bass completed the mornings sesh before heading home for a coffee and a good look at the pic and me books.
Well as far as I can see from books and tinternet ,it ticks the boxes for a Golden Grey so happy with that.
Note to self, remember to pack every thing next time I go fishing!!
IMG_20220526_072145.jpg

Nice report and a good photo Bob - well done! If I'd woken up at 5.30, I'd have probably forgot me trousers as well as a load of other stuff! ??????

Great write up mate it made good reading,nice catch,your not the first one to forget a bit of kit when we go fishing, and you won't be the last,I normally forget something so don't feel bad about it mate

Back