• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Up&Over or One-Hook Clipped Down?

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi everyone, hope all is well. Starting to tie some more traces, and was just wondering what peoples preferences were to the above rigs for presenting baits with long flowing hook lengths over clean ground for rays etc.

I would think if you want a long flowing trace, the up & over would be your best bet of the two.
A clipped down single hook would result in a very long rig body if you want a long trace.

Yes the up and over would be able to get a longer trace for a shorter rig when clipped up, do you think the one hook clipped down is slightly better for hook ups due to the snood being fixed?

Running up and over rig.

I don't target Rays so not sure of the best method. If making an up & over rig, I would 'fix' the snood at the bottom near the lead anyway.
Over whatever you use at the top, and clipped back down near the lead.

I don't target Rays so not sure of the best method. If making an up & over rig, I would 'fix' the snood at the bottom near the lead anyway.
Over whatever you use at the top, and clipped back down near the lead.
The main advantage of the running up and over is that nothing is fixed so when you catch a fish and need to change a hook you can do this and all you have is a slightly shorter long snood. When too short just replace. With a fixed up and over, if you need to change the hook then you will need to use a new rig. It really depends on how many fish you catch :)

I either use a loop rig or a monofilament version of the Bagnall bar for Ray fishing or any kind of fishing if I’m honest. Not flowing at all but do you need flowing rigs on clean ground?

Hi everyone, hope all is well. Starting to tie some more traces, and was just wondering what peoples preferences were to the above rigs for presenting baits with long flowing hook lengths over clean ground for rays etc.

Having copped some flack last time I answered one of these (flew through with minimal damage) I'll answer carefully.

Up n over/long and low have proved my most successful ray rigs.
A fixed clip down would be 2nd
Pulley dropper 3rd and as a last resort over rough ground, a pulley rig.

If you are fishing for the table, longer snoods and j hooks fished pennell style (minimum of 6/0s)
Hook size deters small fish.
Possiblity of deep hooking is high. Not really recommended anymore.

Mixed table and c&r
Long to medium length snoods, 4/0 j hook on the bottom, 4/0 circle as the pennell.
Vast majority of fish hooked in the scissors.

Catch and release
Medium to short snoods.
2/0 to 4/0 single circle hook.
Expect to miss the odd one, but never had a deep hooked ray fishing this way.

Having copped some flack last time I answered one of these (flew through with minimal damage) I'll answer carefully.

If you are fishing for the table, longer snoods and j hooks fished pennell style (minimum of 6/0s)

Mixed table and c&r
Long to medium length snoods, 4/0 j hook on the bottom, 4/0 circle as the pennell.

Catch and release
Medium to short snoods.
Was there flack? 🤔

Mixed table and c&r

Catch and release
Medium to short snoods.
Just my personal experience and I do use up n over, but must admit I’ve had loads of ray on pulleys.
I know that’s not what the rig is designed for and admittedly I make a lot of them just as it’s quick and easy, but they’ve caught plenty of rays.
I certainly don’t think the gripper puts them off and indeed I’d imagine in the tide the snood flows away from the weight in any case.

And yep I’ve caught ray on up n overs too, but I do tend to use pulleys more so just from my personal experience I couldn’t prove which catches more.

I also admit I use J hook pennells and have had the odd deep hooked ray but mostly they come in lip hooked.

That’s not saying ‘I’m right’, just solely from my experience and what seems to work for me so far.

Last edited:
Running up and over rig.

I use these all the times and I’d say the vast amount of fish iv caught are on this rig , it’ll catch any fish great for rays and all bottom feeding fish

Seem to get different stages in my fishing, sometimes keep deep hooking so go to shorter links and single circles even, still getting the odd deep hook.
Then other times missing bites, and lightly /normally hooked fish .

With no real pattern with tides or abundance of food for them to eat at the time , which could indicate a starving fish taking anything instantly ,or a small weak tide meaning in theory a ray for example could sit over a bait swallowing it without being moved by the tide.
So a lot of variables still which keeps things interesting
I like normal running rigs whenever possible for bass close in, right out till I can sling them 80 yards maybe 120 on a good day for hounds and rays .

Pulley rig for if there is a wind or need maximum distance. Use pulleys for probably 50%of my fishing .

Back