• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Update from Gadget

fishybuisness

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hey all, things have been quite busy with the shiny thing in the sky showing itself a little more often.

Lately most of my time has been alfoat apart from a few very short sessions on the beach for the blondes last month. Its been interesting to target them in places i wouldnt have thought they would be.
8A5404F4-1DB0-4527-948C-ACF1B3A0BAC1.png
I took 2 cornish lads out for the dartmouth plaice festival and ended up giving up on that after 50-60 small plaice under 1lb on the first day. So we changed up a little and i just dropped anchor mid drift over a bank called limp dick. The boys had 6g trout rods they were using for the plaice and hadn’t really caught any fish bigger than a couple of lb before. Oh boy were they in for a shock. A steady stream of small eyes to double figures and blondes to around 15lb but all on the light gear using 16lb braid! Well if you ever want to make your standard session interesting get the lrf rods out and target the biggest thing you can ! Its great fun! I did put a vid up on the tube. The footage is a little scattered as i did a simple edit as there was so much video to sort through. But if you do watch please dont miss out on marks amazing experience at the end!
8ADCABDD-B560-4F1F-8C82-14FE7F0EEC46.png
On from that i took them out on the wrecks as one of the lads has a large family that loves eating fish! We targeted pollock and cod and they had another work out. It was a glorious day out there and each year around this time a small mark i know 30miles out produces the goods. I was using the new Akita jigs made by the boys in lyme bay and they threw up cod to 8lb and pollock to over 15lb. This was using the majorcraft solpara 60g rod and the diawa saltiga 15 sj jigging special. The boys were using my fin nor marquesas and the new out diawa kenzaki 8-15, such a beautiful action for a boat rod, i cant wait to start bassing/livebaiting with them. With the boxes filled with just what we need we started to play light drags and playing the fish like carp! All the pollock went back after this and i have a whole video of fish doing the best Tom Daley impressions ever!3A38B422-B1FD-4F80-9992-5F0504017E7D.png
2D9F8BEB-5884-4357-B86B-A6415D5BD65A.png
Gadgets been drinking some fuel lately and since the temps have risen the hull is starting to look like an upside down forest! She needs to come out and get buffed and cleaned and serviced. Each year i try and leave it later and later to do the antifoul as most of my use/fuel burn is july onwards but currently shes down a third in efficiency rate at 0.9klm per litre where she would normally be up in the 1.3 1.4klm per litre.

The weather was looking excellent for the may bank holiday so that Friday night saw 320 litres in the tanks and a friend shane came along for his first boat pikey meet! This was a journey from Torquay over to weymouth and stay over on gadget for a couple of nights and fish the shambles! We were going over to meet our boat pikeys that love to travel around fishing and camping in boats. This weekend certainly lived up to the name. The trip across the bay was flat calm and we were heading straight into the rising sun at 3:30 -4 am. As we approached the middle of lyme bay the fog came in heavily and we decided to slow down to 16knts for safety and so we could make a fresh bout of coffee. Im slightly addicted to the italian mokka pots as it steams the water through the coffee and over the top, giving some impressive caffeine inputs! We were approaching portland bill with quite a foul sight of the race in full angry mode 👿. Ive been caught out in the past here and it was just a certain state of tide that is was big no no so I detoured south a mile or two and headed up to the banks of the shambles. It was great to see all your mates together doing what they do and i honked my horns quite a few times in excitement. We stowed gear away and put Gadget in to full power turbot mode! Dogger and edd were drifting next to us on the solent warrior as we were tying end gear on and they both struck gold right next to us. They had 3 fish hooked up 2 came aboard and one lost so we were cheering them on and it just sparked the start of a great weekend. CDAC14FF-46CF-4BD6-857B-2DB0E6643703.jpegE64973B8-D803-4C9F-8292-393AF49CCFE6.jpegThere were 5 boats all together and probably 60-70 turbot caught between us. Now theres a thing with turbot fishing and i have to say some of these chaps really know what they are doing pulling 2 or 3 in by the time ive got just one. Certainly an art i would like to perfect in the coming years. A6319F93-E33A-421B-85BF-5EEE1ABB9591.jpegThe first day ended with a group hug on the beach with a fire and loads and loads of hot food - maybe just one type of food though! TURBO GOUJONS!!!
Edd seamed to really know how to flip fillets off these turbos faster than i could see how he was doing it, when someone makes it look that easy you question yourself. So probably 15-20 turbot filleted, de skinned and sliced into strips and put on the drying rack. The process continued with a strip dipped into flour then a beach made batter (beer,flour,chilly,salt,pepper) then straight into a pan of oil. All this was done whilst consuming beer and chatting over a 🔥. The locals came down and also started tucking in to our pile of fresh goujons. It was great and the best bit was you had to do your own dipping battering cooking, it was a case of just getting your hands in. We didnt have a late night as we wanted to get out at slack in the morning to collect fresh bait. I guess you get the idea ——-
33D43463-4753-4E5E-AA05-6EC23491F458.jpeg
63F63B4F-FD8F-4358-A47D-8D87EE55FDFF.jpegOn the way home it i had timed the tide to perfection and stopped off at a wreck that i knew would be holding alot of cod on. The tide wad reduced down to 0.3 knts and was doing the clock face from east to west to south south west (propper slack) i saw the finder as we approached on our first drift and luckly i called it on the video. This couldn’t be anymore coddie i said and as i dropped down with a 120g pink jig thump thump thump cod on! I sniggered slightly when pulling it through the stern door. We did a few drifts until the tide was flowing west to east and then made tracks for torbay harbour. The bridge was shutting at 5pm and the plotter was saying eta 5:01

So i gave gadget a good 25mile run at 30+ knots to make sure i could put her on her berth straight away. Auto pilot was set and my fishing partner was absolutely flatout alseep in the bucket seat for most of the way. We were being followed by a major storm cell behind us and as we entered the harbour the heavens opened with thunder and lightning. Brilliant timing

Tbc1AFC7793-B1A9-4B4F-8378-0738070529C7.jpeg

Last edited:
41998BF1-EABE-4F3E-873E-4E1F921B384C.jpegThe next adventure was taking a brand spanking extreme boat 745 game king out of gunwharf marina to test out the new yamaha helm ex with spot lock anchoring. Its not the first time using an extreme boat but they are staggeringly impressive. Everything is thought about everything is where you need it and with the deep v hull we have tested them in some inclement conditions upto and over f6. When stationary the hull fills with over a ton of water creating an amazing stable platform that even the biggest of chaps cant seam to tip or roll the hull. The day consisted of playing around the solent with hounds and tope for the open sea angling classic 6B1B5FF1-8CF9-4B43-8CDE-F6AA1D7BFA47.jpegprequalifying day where someone would be lucky enough to win a free entrance to the main event. The day had most boats catching all 5 species with some impressive results from the juniors! Ross Honey really made this day feel special even though its not the main event it was the first time ive seen this sort of social in the fishing sport for some time.
6195E4F9-D8F6-4BBD-8AA6-7FA76CD6B51D.jpeg
Ok the boat
745 game king powered by a yamaha 250 with electronic steering and utilising the helm master ex system. This combination allows you to anchor in any terrain or depth all by gps, whats more impressive is it was holding us bow into tide with cross wind and with a single outboard. The only way i can explain this is if you were to manually do this yourself i dont think you could due to the ability of lock to lock on the steering wheel 4times one way and 4 the opposite! Where when the computer is adjusting it the outboard moves lock to lock quicker than any mad man on the wheel and also juggling from forward to reverse! You have to see this to believe it! Also when in spot lock mode you have the ability to move around with a 3 axis joystick, so lets say you are spot locked on a wreck and you wanted to move to different part of the wreck you just push the joystick where you want to go and twist it to the direction you want the bow to point. This also removes all of the complexity of boat handling/birthing/parking into a format where someone with zero experience could operate the boat successfully.
This boat was dropped into the water the night before and we had laptops and setups going on first thing and we set off with only 20mins on the boats life, she sat in the swell perfectly and we trimmed her to be cruising at 30knts with a fuel burn of 33ltrs ph. I think gadget might be up for sale soon as these are too good to miss out on.
185041D4-207D-4683-9EF0-851F059F2C87.jpeg
If your interested come down the week of the sea angling classic 14th June preferably the start of the week if you want to see how they perform!
2C1C32DE-3560-4D34-8771-D235BBFE6913.jpeg
Just to finish off
I was on the beach last night and i had one of them pest fish sessions, i just couldn’t get away from dogs and strap eels and the one ray i had on bent the 2.0 hook out on the way in.

Im sure you have all seen the sole consultation and the form that has been sent around. We have been given a white dove and it would be great to make the most of this opportunity to protect the beaches we so love to spend time on. We have until the 28th to get as many names down as we can. I feel this is really important for all anglers and it will start a trend to happen all over the country.

Tight lines all
Dave Out

Hey all, things have been quite busy with the shiny thing in the sky showing itself a little more often.

Lately most of my time has been alfoat apart from a few very short sessions on the beach for the blondes last month. Its been interesting to target them in places i wouldnt have thought they would be.
View attachment 44881
I took 2 cornish lads out for the dartmouth plaice festival and ended up giving up on that after 50-60 small plaice under 1lb on the first day. So we changed up a little and i just dropped anchor mid drift over a bank called limp dick. The boys had 6g trout rods they were using for the plaice and hadn’t really caught any fish bigger than a couple of lb before. Oh boy were they in for a shock. A steady stream of small eyes to double figures and blondes to around 15lb but all on the light gear using 16lb braid! Well if you ever want to make your standard session interesting get the lrf rods out and target the biggest thing you can ! Its great fun! I did put a vid up on the tube. The footage is a little scattered as i did a simple edit as there was so much video to sort through. But if you do watch please dont miss out on marks amazing experience at the end!
View attachment 44882
On from that i took them out on the wrecks as one of the lads has a large family that loves eating fish! We targeted pollock and cod and they had another work out. It was a glorious day out there and each year around this time a small mark i know 30miles out produces the goods. I was using the new Akita jigs made by the boys in lyme bay and they threw up cod to 8lb and pollock to over 15lb. This was using the majorcraft solpara 60g rod and the diawa saltiga 15 sj jigging special. The boys were using my fin nor marquesas and the new out diawa kenzaki 8-15, such a beautiful action for a boat rod, i cant wait to start bassing/livebaiting with them. With the boxes filled with just what we need we started to play light drags and playing the fish like carp! All the pollock went back after this and i have a whole video of fish doing the best Tom Daley impressions ever!View attachment 44883
View attachment 44884
Gadgets been drinking some fuel lately and since the temps have risen the hull is starting to look like an upside down forest! She needs to come out and get buffed and cleaned and serviced. Each year i try and leave it later and later to do the antifoul as most of my use/fuel burn is july onwards but currently shes down a third in efficiency rate at 0.9klm per litre where she would normally be up in the 1.3 1.4klm per litre.

The weather was looking excellent for the may bank holiday so that Friday night saw 320 litres in the tanks and a friend shane came along for his first boat pikey meet! This was a journey from Torquay over to weymouth and stay over on gadget for a couple of nights and fish the shambles! We were going over to meet our boat pikeys that love to travel around fishing and camping in boats. This weekend certainly lived up to the name. The trip across the bay was flat calm and we were heading straight into the rising sun at 3:30 -4 am. As we approached the middle of lyme bay the fog came in heavily and we decided to slow down to 16knts for safety and so we could make a fresh bout of coffee. Im slightly addicted to the italian mokka pots as it steams the water through the coffee and over the top, giving some impressive caffeine inputs! We were approaching portland bill with quite a foul sight of the race in full angry mode 👿. Ive been caught out in the past here and it was just a certain state of tide that is was big no no so I detoured south a mile or two and headed up to the banks of the shambles. It was great to see all your mates together doing what they do and i honked my horns quite a few times in excitement. We stowed gear away and put Gadget in to full power turbot mode! Dogger and edd were drifting next to us on the solent warrior as we were tying end gear on and they both struck gold right next to us. They had 3 fish hooked up 2 came aboard and one lost so we were cheering them on and it just sparked the start of a great weekend. View attachment 44885View attachment 44886There were 5 boats all together and probably 60-70 turbot caught between us. Now theres a thing with turbot fishing and i have to say some of these chaps really know what they are doing pulling 2 or 3 in by the time ive got just one. Certainly an art i would like to perfect in the coming years. View attachment 44888The first day ended with a group hug on the beach with a fire and loads and loads of hot food - maybe just one type of food though! TURBO GOUJONS!!!
Edd seamed to really know how to flip fillets off these turbos faster than i could see how he was doing it, when someone makes it look that easy you question yourself. So probably 15-20 turbot filleted, de skinned and sliced into strips and put on the drying rack. The process continued with a strip dipped into flour then a beach made batter (beer,flour,chilly,salt,pepper) then straight into a pan of oil. All this was done whilst consuming beer and chatting over a 🔥. The locals came down and also started tucking in to our pile of fresh goujons. It was great and the best bit was you had to do your own dipping battering cooking, it was a case of just getting your hands in. We didnt have a late night as we wanted to get out at slack in the morning to collect fresh bait. I guess you get the idea ——-
View attachment 44889
View attachment 44890On the way home it i had timed the tide to perfection and stopped off at a wreck that i knew would be holding alot of cod on. The tide wad reduced down to 0.3 knts and was doing the clock face from east to west to south south west (propper slack) i saw the finder as we approached on our first drift and luckly i called it on the video. This couldn’t be anymore coddie i said and as i dropped down with a 120g pink jig thump thump thump cod on! I sniggered slightly when pulling it through the stern door. We did a few drifts until the tide was flowing west to east and then made tracks for torbay harbour. The bridge was shutting at 5pm and the plotter was saying eta 5:01

So i gave gadget a good 25mile run at 30+ knots to make sure i could put her on her berth straight away. Auto pilot was set and my fishing partner was absolutely flatout alseep in the bucket seat for most of the way. We were being followed by a major storm cell behind us and as we entered the harbour the heavens opened with thunder and lightning. Brilliant timing

Tbc
Fabulous report & brilliant photos Dave! 🎣🎣👍👍 Enjoyed reading that!

Off Youtube for a bit - video problems with laptop, and trying to fettle up a replacement.

Great reports and fishing mate, lovely pictures as well. Nice one... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back