• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Update on my Beginner Setup

Lukehooper111

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So following on from my previous post, these are the rods I bought and their specs. Turns out it’s 150g max not 180. My friend has given me 30lb mono line, is that okay, so I need more or less? With a main line of 30lb would I still require a shock leader when using 4oz lead? A7CDFEE4-71B2-448A-B56D-0403C5F1AD2D.png

Well to get you on the right track, that is a beachcaster or surfcaster depending where you live. A baitcaster is normally around 5ft -7ft in length, very light and fished normally (not always) with a small multiplier.

On the 30lb line, Hmmm! I use 30 for porbeagle shark but that is boat. I don`t fish beaches in UK so others can advise. From memory when I did fish beaches here, 1960`s 70`s the rule of thumb for the shock leader was 10lb for every 1 oz of lead then add 10lb. i.e. 4 oz lead was 40lb plus 10lb for safety.

For £99 it will get you started but make sure you clean them well after every use. A decent blank for a beach rod can run to £200-300 and a set of decent guides £50-70

Take the gramms, mtrs and cms and position them sideways up some frog eater or krauts rectum:)

Last edited:
Treat yourself to one of these.
They are actually pretty good for reference

Fox Guide to Modern Sea Angling by Yates, Alan Et Al Paperback Book The Cheap

Unless you plan to fish rough ground ie areas with snags, 30lb mono is overkill and will affect your casting distance.

20lb imo would be plenty. Still a bit more than most would use on a clean beach, but more forgiving for a newcomer.
You will then as said need a shock leader though. 60/70lb is fine.

You can cast 30lb - with care - without a shock leader but I wouldn’t advise it for someone starting out.
In fact I only go shockless with 30 when fishing very very rough ground for wrasse, when distance casting isn’t an issue.

Unless you plan to fish rough ground ie areas with snags, 30lb mono is overkill and will affect your casting distance.

20lb imo would be plenty. Still a bit more than most would use on a clean beach, but more forgiving for a newcomer.
You will then as said need a shock leader though. 60/70lb is fine.

You can cast 30lb - with care - without a shock leader but I wouldn’t advise it for someone starting out.
In fact I only go shockless with 30 when fishing very very rough ground for wrasse, when distance casting isn’t an issue.
I already have 30lb line and some 50lb shock leader, would that be okay?

I already have 30lb line and some 50lb shock leader, would that be okay?
I see your in Hampshire Luke, where are you planning on beach fishing? What @Mr Fish was saying is that your 30lb line is a bit heavy for the area. 15-20lb line should be ample with your 50lb shock leader.
Hope you get sorted ok and enjoy your first trips.

I see your in Hampshire Luke, where are you planning on beach fishing? What @Mr Fish was saying is that your 30lb line is a bit heavy for the area. 15-20lb line should be ample with your 50lb shock leader.
Yes that’s what I meant, cheers Mushty.

50lb shock leader will be fine as you say. Tbh 60/70 is more safety first but I’d be highly surprised if anyone could break that in a cast!

I won’t spend a fortune on leader so normally buy bulk spools of 60/70 and use it for rig body too.

Hi mate, I’m planing on starting out on the Lepe beach area, but also maybe town quay too? Is 20lb mono fine, or is it better to be braided?

Hi mate, I’m planing on starting out on the Lepe beach area, but also maybe town quay too? Is 20lb mono fine, or is it better to be braided?
Hi Luke, I don’t really know the area other than taking boats through there but I gather it’s quite a clean beach as I’n not many if any snags! As a new starter I’d go for 15lb mono line with the 50lb leader, you won’t go far wrong. I think as you get more experienced and confident you could perhaps if you felt you needed to try braid.
I personally don’t use it as I prefer the feedback I get from mono.

Hi Luke, I don’t really know the area other than taking boats through there but I gather it’s quite a clean beach as I’n not many if any snags! As a new starter I’d go for 15lb mono line with the 50lb leader, you won’t go far wrong. I think as you get more experienced and confident you could perhaps if you felt you needed to try braid.
I personally don’t use it as I prefer the feedback I get from mono.
From what I’ve read, Town Quay is snaggy, though never fished it. Does appear to throw up a few fish though.

Grew up along Southampton water and still fish it a lot but never Town Quay just prefer more quiet areas, having said that would be a great place for starting out, plenty of dogs/pouting etc. and a few sole have started to show so I'm told. Couple months time things should liven up as the hounds and bream arrive, Lepe a good area also calshot can fish very well on its day. Best of luck with it, see how you get on and then I'd make the change to 15-18lbs mono or 20lbs braid with time (y) Tight lines,

Grew up along Southampton water and still fish it a lot but never Town Quay just prefer more quiet areas, having said that would be a great place for starting out, plenty of dogs/pouting etc. and a few sole have started to show so I'm told. Couple months time things should liven up as the hounds and bream arrive, Lepe a good area also calshot can fish very well on its day. Best of luck with it, see how you get on and then I'd make the change to 15-18lbs mono or 20lbs braid with time (y) Tight lines,
👀👀 😁😁 👍👍

If starting out I’d stick to mono for now braid takes some getting use to imho exaggerated bites being the main culprit but also wind knots can be an expensive lerning curve I’d stick to mono for now wack some 18 lb main line don’t go for cheapest others can advise Wots best get your self some 70 lb shock leader and watch a few you tube videos on the best way to tie a shock leader knot Wots you hit the basics read and watch as much fishing related media as possible on rigs baits and alike the the book that @Shirleycodlin recommended is a brilliant start then go from there keep it simple is my best advice failing that join a club good luck and keep posting about your catches we can help improve your catch rate with little tips there’s some bloody good anglers on here who will be happy to help that sort of advice is priceless mate 👍👍👍

Reed

Back