• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Vacuum Sealer for bait.

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Lidl have vacuum sealers for sale on Thursday 16th May.

£20 well spent.

I got one a couple of years ago and have found it very useful. I package fillets of gar and mackerel I catch and freeze it in small packs as when I'm out species hunting it's usually small hooks and small baits.
Small packs in an insulated bag and a freezer block keeps it in good condition for a session and the bags can be resealed if not all the contents are used.
I buy shellfish from Morrisons if it's in the reduced to clear section at the end of the day. A big bag of live razors, 40p last time, is split and packed in smaller numbers and frozen. Sometimes I'll shell them and salt them for a day or two before freezing, they stay on the hook better when firmed up from salting.
Any ragworm I have left over from a session is salted, vac packed and frozen. Likewise with raw prawn, a whole pack is too much to take so I'll take some fresh and vac pac and freeze the rest.

The small bags can be made from the standard size rolls quite easily with a bit of cutting and sealing.

vac pack.jpg

I'll second that! We bought a similar one, though not sure if it was Lidl or Aldi, and it's been brilliant for food but not had the need to freeze any bait with it! Only comment I will make is buy a good stock of the proper bags for it, as Lidl may not have them in again for 6 months or more. The 'proper' bags have Micro grooves in the plastic which sucks the air out better.

I'll second that! We bought a similar one, though not sure if it was Lidl or Aldi, and it's been brilliant for food but not had the need to freeze any bait with it! Only comment I will make is buy a good stock of the proper bags for it, as Lidl may not have them in again for 6 months or more. The 'proper' bags have Micro grooves in the plastic which sucks the air out better.

I've bought rolls on eBay, as long as you get the embossed type it's OK.

Thanks for that, I've wanted to buy one for ages.
The guy in the tackle shop up the road says bait lasts for ever when vac packed and frozen.
£20, no brainer I think. And buy all the stock of bags.

Thanks for that, I've wanted to buy one for ages.
The guy in the tackle shop up the road says bait lasts for ever when vac packed and frozen.
£20, no brainer I think. And buy all the stock of bags.
Looking at the website Ian, the bags should be there at the same time and they come in 2 widths, 20 & 28cm, so up to you which ones will suit your needs best.

I tend to buy the larger width, mostly cut down to make bags from the 14cm width. A whole width bag takes a smallish whole mackerel.

Bonus........mentioned this to my wife and she is all for having one as she will use it in the kitchen! So have managed to get a new piece of "fishing equipment" without having to sneak it in the garage :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

Just hope they have them in our local store on Thursday!!

Bonus........mentioned this to my wife and she is all for having one as she will use it in the kitchen! So have managed to get a new piece of "fishing equipment" without having to sneak it in the garage :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

Just hope they have them in our local store on Thursday!!
I would think in an area like Blackpool Steve, there will be a few stores around the area. We've got 7 within easy reach, and 1 just over the Tamar into Cornwall! You might have to go on tour! ??

I got one. They didn't get the spare rolls of bag making tube in, hoping to get some in in a couple of days.
Brined some rag then vac packed them. Very easy to do .
I don't know how well brined rag will compare to fresh but for those days when you can't get any it has to be worth a try.

Cooked pork shoulder steaks with mushrooms and loads of garlic sous vide last night, delicious.

Could you vac-pac fresh lug for storing in the fridge do you think? I hate digging a load of fresh bait, popping them in the fridge then having to bin them when they go mank if I cancel a trip. The blacks I freeze, but the blow lug doesn’t want to freeze well.

Could you vac-pac fresh lug for storing in the fridge do you think? I hate digging a load of fresh bait, popping them in the fridge then having to bin them when they go mank if I cancel a trip. The blacks I freeze, but the blow lug doesn’t want to freeze well.
The Lidl one has a 'soft contents' switch so that the contents don't get squidged up by the pressure, perhaps it's worth trying. I rarely use lugworm so can't test it myself.

Thanks mate, I may have to check it out, luckily I have two mates that are into fishing, they soon snap up some freshly dug bait for free!

As usual, loads of info on Youtube. Search for "Freezing Lugworm" and pick out the best bits (or worms!)

If you vac pack live lug and put it in the fridge, surely you’ll just suffocate the worms, they’ll die and go mushy!?

Back