• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

VMO tripods (Veals)

ive got one not sure how much it weighs? but not alot and its 3' ish folded down

really could do with the leglock kit on it but thats only a tenner and other parts are cheap for it

I forgot to mention yesterday that Lidl have got some cheap fishing bits in again next week in case anyone is interested.

Lightweight Rod rest (extends from 51.5cm to 126cm) and long handled landing nets for £14.99 each, plus various sized Spinning F/S reels for the same price. Hardly Shimano or Daiwa I know, but may be handy for a spare or if somebody wants a reel for children!

ive got one not sure how much it weighs? but not alot and its 3' ish folded down

really could do with the leglock kit on it but thats only a tenner and other parts are cheap for it
Is it sturdy(ish)? Would you recommend it? I like the idea it's small to transport

I think there is something to be said in that you get what you pay for, and that sturdiness/strength unfortunately equals weight. I love my Shakespeare Salt, but it is a bit weighty. Not a problem for me as I can't hike miles anyway. Having a 7ft Tripod is handy with longer Continental rods too.

I can't hike either, my rods are 13ft and 12ft, so looking for light but sturdy, I won't be fishing in any gales on purpose! After six consecutive blanks, I am beginning to realise that Cornish fish are very selective in who can catch them:(

Is it sturdy(ish)? Would you recommend it? I like the idea it's small to transport
Yes and yes
Had it over 2 years now and plenty of use and still Goin strong+ fits in my car boot perfectly only thing missing really is a leg lock but I've managed so far without it flopping to the floor

The above are as good as Shakespeare Salt but lighter.Will fit in the car boot when collapsed.If the bidding doesn't go too high(I paid £11.50 plus postage)they are well worth the outlay.Extend from 4ft to 6.5ft.They are only £49.95 on the site with free postage.Couple more also on Auction.

Last edited:
Ian Golds super match with a Parker leg lock has lasted several decades for me. Made a couple of add on extras with pipe clips - trace bar/stabiliser and a bait pump holder. Seen the Shakespeare (and the long discontinued MTI) they look good if heavy but a friend of mine had problems with plastic parts snapping so I stuck with what I had

If PDP is interested, there is a DAM tripod & Salt bag for sale just over the county line from me in Saltash, Cornwall for £25!

Looks very similar to a Salt tripod to me, and £25 can't be bad!

had one of the vmo 6ft supa ones, on arrival, set it up in the office to have a look at it, dismantled it , stuck it back in the box and back it went, exchanged for an 6ft golds supamatch db1
chalk n cheese

Also have this one Kris.

to be fair, its ok, not overly impressed with it, BUT, its lighter than the shakey salt ( IMHO the best tripod out there ( or the MK1 was)
the newest one is flimsy on the plastic bits!

have a mk1 to collect next time im down south, mate used it once years ago doing the walk on chesil near fkin killed him, so in the loft it went lol :)

My mistake Kris the MK1 is the one I have.(y)

ah ha

they are repairable on the plastic leg supports with small bore copper tube after cutting the plastic teardrops off

trouble with mine is it has been absoultley abused from its purchase about 20 yrs ago lol, and has more diy repirs on it than original parts, and this latest damage was the strw that broke the poor old camel :)
only had my rods go over once in all the time i had it, and that was on the humber wall, with a screaming 7.2m flood barreling through at about 5 knots, with a good easterley behind it ( only coz i forgot to hang my weight bucket on it whilst setting up the 2nd rod ) !!
its taken absolutley everything thrown at it inc being run over by me :)

Back