• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Wahooo a pb

Stevie69

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As promised earlier here's my experience of tonight's escapade
I got to crimdon and met up with Dan who brought his mate along too. Another mate of mine mark turned up so we all headed for the beach. As we got on to the beach there was a good sea running still and the gully to get on the sand bar was thigh deep as we waded through it. The sea was still washing over the sand so it was awkward IMG20211203193643.jpgtrying to set up and put one out there without our tackle boxes floating off. My first cast after 10mins resulted in a little Tommie about 10" long he went back to get biggIMG20211203195343.jpger for another day. My second cast resulted with another about 8" long oh dear there's only little uns about. Once the sea stopped washing over it was quite comfortable fishing just no bites for any of us. Just after the tide turned I had a quite a big rattle on the rod tip,then it went again as I wound it in it was just a dead weight till I landed it on the sand not a coding but a dab IMG20211203204657.jpg I've caught these before but not one this big it measured 42cm and weighed in at 1lb 10 IMG20211203205140_BURST000_COVER.jpgI was chuffed to bits wasn't bothered about getting a codling now a new pb for me. As I returned it my phone rang it was my brother he was fishing about 800 yards to the left of us said he'd had a codling around 2lb a few Tommies and 2 massive dabs around 1 1/2lb. The other lads had a dab each but tiny compared to mine.40 mins after the tide turned we were getting washed off so ended the session bit disappointed I didn't get a piggy but that's fishing. Back out again tomorrow night same beach different spot ? hopefully the push of the sea will have died down a bit by then.

Last edited:
Nice one Stevie. Sorry to query but is that a dab? Looks very much like a flounder to me though (still a good size).

Particularly as other big ‘dabs’ were caught nearby, makes me wonder.

Although it does look like it has rough skin but hard to tell from the pic whether that’s skin or sand.

Excellent PB. Sounds like extreme fishing wading out to a sandbar and water coming over the top. He who dares wins?

I'm pretty sure it looks more like a plaice than a flounder.

Was it smooth rubbed both ways?

I'm pretty sure it looks more like a plaice than a flounder.

Was it smooth rubbed both ways?
Flounder do have orange spots, especially in the sea. They tend to lose them after being in estuaries for awhile.

But the spots are less orange and less pronounced than a plaice.
Also, plaice have a more circular body shape…

I must apologize ☹️it was a flounder not a dab, smooth from head to tail rough on the reverse still the biggest I've ever caught ?. Hopefully I'll get Jimmy Dick tonight.
Moby's big brother.
Still a nice sized flounder!

Did wonder about ‘dab’ as 1lb 10 Would be a stonking dab!

Back