• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

General Wales bluefin tuna fishing šŸŸ

taffy thomas

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Recreational angling for Atlantic bluefin tuna in Wales.

Hi all I'm doing some personal research for my post grad on recreational fishing opinions of anglers in the hope it gives us a stronger voice for our sport in terms of the benefits it could bring to the recreational fishing community and wider economy in Wales. There is some movement in this area in SW England already and an established tagging programme informing results and policy and Wales is not far behind starting its tagging programme last season. So hopefully this data can be useful citizen science that can be used by recreational angling sectors in Wales to further the case before legislation and governance by taking account of public opinion. The survey on fishing for Atlantic bluefin is multiple choice and will take 5 mins, please feel free to add your comments also. All replies are anonymous so won't get the chance to thank people in person so thanks in advance .
Link is below.

Thanks again for your time and tight lines

Yes this is a massive danger commercial pressure is a big issue so the hope is to put recreational catch and release only method backed by evidence it can work with low mortality rates and people's opinions on governance and benefits. Otherwise the species will get wiped out again if not managed. Please feel free to put opinions and comments into the survey. They will all be read.

Yes this is a massive danger commercial pressure is a big issue so the hope is to put recreational catch and release only method backed by evidence it can work with low mortality rates and people's opinions on governance and benefits. Otherwise the species will get wiped out again if not managed. Please feel free to put opinions and comments into the survey. They will all be read.
Given what has happened in the past with fishery stocks theres a piece of me that is hugely suspicious of any data collection on bluefin.
The data collected will be used and interpreted to support any case for the development of a commercial fishery.
It will look like this.....
in 2020 there were 100
in 2021 there were 200
in 2022 there were 500
so we can harvest them because the numbers doubling every couple of years.
The truth is the commercial fleet is the enemy.... we should do nothing to help compile data.
My prediction is a commercial tuna quota by 2025.
Sad but the lobbying power of the commercial rapists is massive and the gov never stands against them..... ever.

Given what has happened in the past with fishery stocks theres a piece of me that is hugely suspicious of any data collection on bluefin.
The data collected will be used and interpreted to support any case for the development of a commercial fishery.
It will look like this.....
in 2020 there were 100
in 2021 there were 200
in 2022 there were 500
so we can harvest them because the numbers doubling every couple of years.
The truth is the commercial fleet is the enemy.... we should do nothing to help compile data.
My prediction is a commercial tuna quota by 2025.
Sad but the lobbying power of the commercial rapists is massive and the gov never stands against them..... ever.
bang on!!! It's coming!!! I've been on boats for forty years.and it's only ten years ago I saw a tuna! A mate of mine got his boat designed as a newbuild so he could fish tuna!!!!

bang on!!! It's coming!!! I've been on boats for forty years.and it's only ten years ago I saw a tuna! A mate of mine got his boat designed as a newbuild so he could fish tuna!!!!
We should just catch and release and return no data..... I wonder if a court would convict anyone that puts them back.... I doubt it.

Not seen any when ive been out on the boat (y)
They are so predictable you can sit on chesil at a certain time of year when the conditions are right and more often than not you can see them a mile out.
Quite a few times we have just stood there having a brew and watching..... its funny a beach full of people and no one notices the dolphins and tuna a mile off....
and therein lies the problen they are so predictable any commercial that sets a longline is going to get rich.

No thanks Taffy, not for mega trawlers to decimate them.

They are so predictable you can sit on chesil at a certain time of year when the conditions are right and more often than not you can see them a mile out.
Quite a few times we have just stood there having a brew and watching..... its funny a beach full of people and no one notices the dolphins and tuna a mile off....
and therein lies the problen they are so predictable any commercial that sets a longline is going to get rich.
Thats why i said i hadnt seen any ;)

Actually I have completed the form, I have said the following.
Not viable because of the harm to protected marine mammals,
Nothing until a 10 year study is undertaken paid for by the commercials.
Zero economic benefits locally other than to existing commercials who already have sound businesses.
Zero reason for C&R
etc etc etc
I quite enjoyed myself and actually its exactly how I feel....... so lads if you can be bothered its worth saying what you think.

Fresh caught tuna with rod & line is really nice to eat. (yellow fin) etc

Last edited:
Back