• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

General Wales bluefin tuna fishing šŸŸ

Actually I have completed the form, I have said the following.
Not viable because of the harm to protected marine mammals,
Nothing until a 10 year study is undertaken paid for by the commercials.
Zero economic benefits locally other than to existing commercials who already have sound businesses.
Zero reason for C&R
etc etc etc
I quite enjoyed myself and actually its exactly how I feel....... so lads if you can be bothered its worth saying what you think.

More or less what I said. The C&R mortality rate varies between 5% and 40% , depending who you believe. Leave the buggers alone

Sorry Taffy, I`ve got box files full of info and data on tuna around all the coasts of UK going back many decades and there is no way on this wild earth it is going into any study.

You only have to look at what has already been happening. Fish was tagged and released says skipper X, (charter) estimate 300lb. From the fish buyer who bought it illegally off of skipper X at 4am next morning it was actually 440lb.

Pratt of an angler goes out on his own wee boat fishing "for sharks" . Manages to hook a bluefin so instead of stopping and moving (as he should) he then catches a second one claiming he was still fishing for shark. I`ve fished a lot of countries in my life for both tuna and shark, this prize pratt is the only one who uses flourocarbon leaders for shark. Got to keep the yootoobie going.

Dozens of other examples. Leave them well enough alone.

Sorry Taffy, I`ve got box files full of info and data on tuna around all the coasts of UK going back many decades and there is no way on this wild earth it is going into any study.

You only have to look at what has already been happening. Fish was tagged and released says skipper X, (charter) estimate 300lb. From the fish buyer who bought it illegally off of skipper X at 4am next morning it was actually 440lb.

Pratt of an angler goes out on his own wee boat fishing "for sharks" . Manages to hook a bluefin so instead of stopping and moving (as he should) he then catches a second one claiming he was still fishing for shark. I`ve fished a lot of countries in my life for both tuna and shark, this prize pratt is the only one who uses flourocarbon leaders for shark. Got to keep the yootoobie going.

Dozens of other examples. Leave them well enough alone.
I just think that if the commercials want a pop at them then they should be keen to enter and invest in a ten year study, then if the stocks are no longer in global decline then have a few.......... in a decade or so. Every business on this planet has to pay for opportunity why not the commercial fleet.

I just think that if the commercials want a pop at them then they should be keen to enter and invest in a ten year study, then if the stocks are no longer in global decline then have a few.......... in a decade or so. Every business on this planet has to pay for opportunity why not the commercial fleet.
I've done inshore fishing and grown up amongst it. If they allow a tuna fisherie then it needs to be policed properly!!! The fish police don't seem to get any convictions. Theres some bad apples that bgger things up for law abiding small commercials!

I've done inshore fishing and grown up amongst it. If they allow a tuna fisherie then it needs to be policed properly!!! The fish police don't seem to get any convictions. Theres some bad apples that bgger things up for law abiding small commercials!
I'm surprised there has not been any prosecutions. You would hope that one of the conditions for licensed C & R boats would be to report any unlicensed cowboys obviously targeting tuna.

Lots of really good issues raised on here best form of stock management is to leave them well alone, having sea fished for the last 30 years our record of managing other stocks has been poor and policing often non existent. Would be a nice change if organisations thought through the management and policing of stocks before gathering information on where, how many, etc. Its also worth realising this requires policing on land as well people placed at landing ports checking fish market records etc but there will always be those that try to get around it black market etc. Thanks if you did read or attempt the survey as you can see I was not after any location, method, equipment or size info just recreational angling opinions. The info will remain between me and the uni as they can't do anything more without my consent and I don't think the survey is of any use to commercials anyway. Its always a hard sell as can't show personal integrity from behind a keyboard and most people are wary of surveys as I am in general who's it going to and why etc. Be interesting to see if or how they intend to develop this fishery have come across a few gov organisations collecting data but they rarely say what or why very clearly. No wonder many are sceptical in terms of managing and protecting the marine environment. Again as said above not collecting data for anyone not working for anyone it was just personal interest for me. So thanks for reading and contributing

as soon as you know where they hiding , the information will be sold to commercials boats , and wipe them out like they do with most fish .:mad:
Can commercial fishermen sell tuna if caught?

At the moment I think they can land one maybe two as a bycatch but I don't think they can profit from the sale personally?
Ok, yes i thought there could be no sale or profit.

If that is the case if its landed as bycatch, what happens to it?

Yes they should report it to MMO and when landed its taken for research purposes

Yes they should report it to MMO and when landed its taken for research purposes
So they have got no incentive to target and catch them.

And in reply to your op "Recreational angling for Atlantic bluefin tuna in Wales", leave them alone as only one thing will happen, and that is that they will not increase population!

Question would you tell people where you observed bluefin tuna .???
If you did they would be wiped out by idiots ..
Who don't give a toss about how many of them are still swimming in the ocean...??
As far as I'm concerned this question of yours should be answered with .a resounding .
Go forth and multiply..

Question would you tell people where you observed bluefin tuna .???
If you did they would be wiped out by idiots ..
Who don't give a toss about how many of them are still swimming in the ocean...??
As far as I'm concerned this question of yours should be answered with .a resounding .
Go forth and multiply..
Ok Mr Agitator.. calm down.. this is a fishing forum.. not the Houses of Parliament..šŸ˜Ž

Recreational angling for Atlantic bluefin tuna in Wales.

Hi all I'm doing some personal research for my post grad on recreational fishing opinions of anglers in the hope it gives us a stronger voice for our sport in terms of the benefits it could bring to the recreational fishing community and wider economy in Wales. There is some movement in this area in SW England already and an established tagging programme informing results and policy and Wales is not far behind starting its tagging programme last season. So hopefully this data can be useful citizen science that can be used by recreational angling sectors in Wales to further the case before legislation and governance by taking account of public opinion. The survey on fishing for Atlantic bluefin is multiple choice and will take 5 mins, please feel free to add your comments also. All replies are anonymous so won't get the chance to thank people in person so thanks in advance .
Link is below.

Thanks again for your time and tight lines

the only info i will give is that there are loads of tuna in tesco, asda and morrisons in cans.

the only info i will give is that there are loads of tuna in tesco, asda and morrisons in cans.
Amazes me how they get tuna with no brine in the cans.. you would think that the tuna would suffocate in there.šŸ˜Ž

Back