• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Was it worth the risk? Swanage Pier.

Great report bud, and you caught a few fish as well in what sounds nasty conditions 🥶🥶🥶
I had one short trip, think a week ago now, had 4 casts, no bites, lost 2 sets of gear and 100y of line off each reel , and went home! ...so you did bloody well 😀👍👍👍

It cost £84.00 when I got it. That was for the whole kit including, controller and harness, fuel tank, fuel hose, fuel pump, wiring, ducting, etc. At that price, if it was no good, l would not have lost a great deal. It is an ace bit of kit. Works much better than I expected. I now have it plumbed into the main fuel tank as well. If I have the awning on, it heats that as well. Well worth it.
You can’t beat a night heater for any van or camper, we even used them on the buses that I used to drive.
Overnight in the winter, you really need one that has a thermostat, so you don’t overheat when you’re asleep.
They don’t use much diesel fuel, the better ones are usually fully fitted and have numerous safety settings.
The Chinese ones are very basic but cheap, eBay sells around £100.
Separate fuel tank, I’ve seen them set up in people’s houses, a cheap way to get heat cheaply.

You can’t beat a night heater for any van or camper, we even used them on the buses that I used to drive.
Overnight in the winter, you really need one that has a thermostat, so you don’t overheat when you’re asleep.
They don’t use much diesel fuel, the better ones are usually fully fitted and have numerous safety settings.
The Chinese ones are very basic but cheap, eBay sells around £100.
Separate fuel tank, I’ve seen them set up in people’s houses, a cheap way to get heat cheaply.
Mine is a 5kw like most are. It appears that lots of the 2kw ones are just 5 kw labelled as 2 kw! It is a bit overkill for a van. I don't use it when sleeping and stay snug if I have a hat on, even in minus 5. It is just the best thing to turn on when you wake up though. The Chinese ones are not thermostatically controlled, mine just has 5 heat settings. If it is too hot on the lowest setting, control is via cracking open windows, which also helps prevent condensation. Great bits of kit for the money. My mate has just installed one to his bungalow.

Mine is a 5kw like most are. It appears that lots of the 2kw ones are just 5 kw labelled as 2 kw! It is a bit overkill for a van. I don't use it when sleeping and stay snug if I have a hat on, even in minus 5. It is just the best thing to turn on when you wake up though. The Chinese ones are not thermostatically controlled, mine just has 5 heat settings. If it is too hot on the lowest setting, control is via cracking open windows, which also helps prevent condensation. Great bits of kit for the money. My mate has just installed one to his bungalow.
Yes, I’ve heard of this installation into homes, but I would be curious on how much condensation is produced.

Yes, I’ve heard of this installation into homes, but I would be curious on how much condensation is produced.
None. It simply draws the air from the house, heats it and returns it. Any condensation would be due to moisture already in the house. A human introduces around 400g of water a day just by breathing! If the air intake was from outside and the house ventilated, it should help reduce the moisture, but it is much less efficient, as you are heating colder air.

None. It simply draws the air from the house, heats it and returns it. Any condensation would be due to moisture already in the house. A human introduces around 400g of water a day just by breathing! If the air intake was from outside and the house ventilated, it should help reduce the moisture, but it is much less efficient, as you are heating colder air.
The combustion process produces plenty of moisture as well as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and possibly other nasties as well - just like anything else that burns hydrocarbons.

However, the point is that these heaters are designed so that the combustion takes place in a separate chamber that has an exhaust (to the outside). The heat produced by the combustion is used to warm up a heating element. The air to be heated is then drawn in, passed over the heating element to warm it up and returned to the room. This is why no moisture is added to the room even though the combustion process does produce moisture.

Great report bud, and you caught a few fish as well in what sounds nasty conditions 🥶🥶🥶
I had one short trip, think a week ago now, had 4 casts, no bites, lost 2 sets of gear and 100y of line off each reel , and went home! ...so you did bloody well 😀👍👍👍
Thanks Si. The journey was nasty for sure, but I did enjoy the night in the van and fishing in the cold!

Nice report, love the van life. Im very similar with little mini adventures!

The fishing is a bonus
Thanks for a nice read
Thanks. Yeah I love my van and how it enables me to do what I do. When I walk back from a session, it makes me happy as soon as I can see it!

Back