• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

WASHED UP TACKLE

DEEP SEA JOHN

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I thought i might pass on some finds i make when collecting sea water for my lugg tanks. every time i go to collect water after a storm the amount of old tackle washed up on the rocks is amazing last week after that big storm i found a ball of monofil and braid line must have been thousands of yards. first thing i look for are the leads? i salvaged 38 leads 22 splash down clips. other bits include imps quick release clips and thousands of beads and lures the only thing i dont keep are the hooks. and mackerel feathers and i always drag the old line to a bin.
i have never bought a lead or clips for 40years as my garage is full of buckets of gear
i have found rods reels and the odd seat box the ground up here is very heavy hence the big losses. the tackle shops are always happy especialy when i sell them thier leads back. any body else go beach combing
D.S.J.🦀

Last edited:
Always manage to find something , I usually start a session before low tide, and as the sea retreats there are always a few crackoff leads to be found,usually its the leader that has parted from the main line so there is also the bait clip etc to salvage as well.

I have also found the odd crackoff with a fish attached to the baited hook . Usually a whiting which I release back, but I have had a couple of cod around the 6/7 lb mark, which are welcome when I later blank.

Dave

Not many accessible places here where lost tackle could be found, as those places are not often fished.

I did lose an expensive lure on a summer spring high a few years ago. Went back at low tide and found my lure, but managed to slip on the rocks getting there and gashed my leg open. Won't be trying that again in a hurry.

Back