• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West We wasn’t expecting that!

Probably 1st point - I'll try to find out. I don't fish there anyway..... like Mr Fish I'm no lover of the ledges. fortunately, there are some better marks just a bit further up. So I don't have to fish with the riff raff..... apologies for being a snob, or not wanting to fish amongst litter, Thatcher's/Stella cans and discarded tackle and bait bags
Musky

Probably 1st point - I'll try to find out. I don't fish there anyway..... like Mr Fish I'm no lover of the ledges. fortunately, there are some better marks just a bit further up. So I don't have to fish with the riff raff..... apologies for being a snob, or not wanting to fish amongst litter, Thatcher's/Stella cans and discarded tackle and bait bags
Musky

Cant argee more, the ledges use to be great, but i wouldnt fish there by choice anymore.

Cant argee more, the ledges use to be great, but i wouldnt fish there by choice anymore.
I haven’t been to them for years but never really had a lot. Tried flood, ebb, low, neaps, springs, day and night.
Probably did about six trips there over a year or so (some years ago) but was very poor and didn’t see a great deal caught by anyone.

I haven’t been to them for years but never really had a lot. Tried flood, ebb, low, neaps, springs, day and night.
Probably did about six trips there over a year or so (some years ago) but was very poor and didn’t see a great deal caught by anyone.

It use to be a “banker” mark of mine, most trips had something decent ish. But its a total s**thole now. Same as portishead slipway etc. The whole area is crap.

There are some lovely ledges/marks a little further up... that'll be the kiss of death if anyone decides to come on up:(:(

Fished inside battery point today ...normally a productive spot for me, however it was a complete blank ....... total, utter, ministry of truth blank, not even a rattle! I fished from 7.30am to 12.30 so 5hrs up then the wind got too uncomfortable, so when the tripod went over I thought time to be somewhere else....and took the dog for a walk - that'll teach her to be excited about going out in the sh*tty weather!
Musky

Last edited:
Out tonight with @Christurner to try for unicorns in the Taw estuary here in North Devon.
This spot used to be a banker mark for codling and although usually nothing much over 3.5/4lb, a couple of keepers a session was pretty standard.
But the last two autumns/winters we’ve not had a single codling here.
Maybe they’re just not coming in the river as much, I don’t know.

Anyway, we were fishing about 2hr 45 before high tide and the flood was boiling through.

View attachment 34744

It’s like uptiding or fishing the upper reaches of the Bristol Channel - and neither of those rods pictured bend for the fun of it, takes a lot of force to bend that much. The one on the left is a Carbon Metal Mk 1, as an example.

It was quiet to start. I had a smallish bite, that was it. After an hour or more, Chris started bringing one of my rods in (lol) and as we sorted the modest tangle we realised both his rods were right up in that direction, more than the tide had been pulling.
We freed mine but his lines were still mixed together and it appeared he had a fish on!

I put down the dropnet, which was being pulled upriver by the strong tide and meantime what should surface?
A big hound!
Bearing in mind we’re about two miles up an estuary and at the end of October 🙄

Landing it was a right faff because the tide was taking the dropnet and the tangle meant Chris couldn’t steer the fish to the net as you normally would.
Trying to guide his line with my free hand, I got the fish over the net twice but it slid out, then finally it was dead centre and I was able to heave it up.
(Btw that net had 3lb of boat leads hanging from it, which shows how strong the tide is there).

View attachment 34745
We guesstimated about 11lb. We both had scales but no weighing sling.
My sling usually goes everywhere with me but who takes a weighing sling to an estuary mark where normally you’d expect a codling of up to 4lb at best?

Because we were fairly high up, the plan was to lower the fish back in the dropnet, so it wasn’t injured by hitting the water from such a height.
This proceeded well, until, as Chris lowered it and a few feet above the water, the dropnet rope snapped with no warning.
It was one of those fluffy coated type ropes that came with the net, fairly thick and no visible sign there was anything wrong with it.
I had already replaced the corner cords because they were snapping like cotton last year and it seems the rope was in the same vein!
And bizarre it hasn’t snapped when hoisting the hound up!

We had seen where it went down so Chris went fishing with his gear to try and hook it.
How hard could it be to hook a metre long net that was festooned with cords?
Any other time that would be an instant snag magnet but no, the thing refused to be caught!

I had a set of mackerel feathers in my rig wallet, so added an 8oz gripper to it and Chris tried with those! Success!
He began drawing it up hand over hand, then his 60lb shockleader snapped! Argh!!!
I had a few more drags with my own gear but couldn’t seem to hook it at all, so gave up.
The net was quite old and I wasn’t too distraught at losing it, just frustrated that if we had another good fish, all we could do was handline it up and pray…

Anyway, back to fishing and I was in soon after, but I could tell that although it was a hound it was nowhere near as big as his had been.

And so it proved…

View attachment 34746

Messaged a mate and he said he’d heard the lower river was full of them still.
I knew they’d been getting a fair few near the estuary mouth up to September or so but we were surprised they were still around and that far up.

Not to be outdone, Chris had another about the same size as mine.

Then I had a whiting.

View attachment 34747
It took frozen black lug and squid, wouldn’t waste crab on them, but just for scale…
Deep hooked otherwise it could have gone back.

Then Chris had another hound on, but it came off.

Then it all went a bit quiet. When the ebb was underway (once upon a time the best time for the codling here), Chris had yet another hound run and this time I handlined up a better fish we guessed at around 9lb.
The water was higher now and these hounds were going back okay when dropped in head first.

I had another, smaller, whiting. That actually went back okay for once!

Just as we thought things had gone quiet for good, Chris had yet another hound run and was bringing in what looked like quite a good fish, when it all went solid.
We weren’t too sure whether it had simply snagged on rocks and a mussel bed, or an earlier set of gear he lost, but either way it wouldn’t budge.
He reported that after a while the fish didn’t seem to be on there any more and he pulled for a break.
Whether it was or not, there wasn’t anything else to be done - he spent a good half hour trying to shift it from the snag.

With the tide at ebb plus two hours, it was seriously ripping back and we knew that was more or less it. I’d had two traces baited up ready to go but said I didn’t think I’d bother. And Chris already had one rod in minus gear, so we packed up.

So STILL no codling at that mark. Just so odd because it really did used to be a banker mark, when you wanted to put the effort in to fish it.
Whether we’ve just been the victim of unlucky coincidence, or they just haven’t been in the river, I really don’t know.

The hounds were a welcome diversion and made the trip worthwhile, although it’s not the sort of mark you really want to catch hounds from, being so high up and with such a tide, but we managed.

Have to think of another local spot for the next unicorn hunt, I think…
cracking report Feeeshy, well done (y)

There are some lovely ledges/marks a little further up... that'll be the kiss of death if anyone decides to come on up:(:(

Fished inside battery point today ...normally a productive spot for me, however it was a complete blank ....... total, utter, ministry of truth blank, not even a rattle! I fished from 7.30am to 12.30 so 5hrs up then the wind got too uncomfortable, so when the tripod went over I thought time to be somewhere else....and took the dog for a walk - ythat'll teach her to be excited about going out in the sh*tty weather!
Musky

Think i know the marks you are on about. Keep the 🤫🤫 or every tom, dick and harry will be there.

Battery point……… gives me a heart attack just thinking about fishing it lol. Fair play for giving it a go, shame the fish were not playing ball. Always found that mark poor.

JR that's one of the reasons I retired ...not many about on a weekday.... sorry didn't mean to rub it in:D.

TBH Ratty ledge is the best and only 3 people know where/why that ledge gots it's name .. but when you're up here.... 👍
Musky

JR that's one of the reasons I retired ...not many about on a weekday.... sorry didn't mean to rub it in:D.

TBH Ratty ledge is the best and only 3 people know where/why that ledge gots it's name .. but when you're up here.... 👍
Musky

Never heard of it lol. I expect i have walked passed or maybe even fished it.
Never fished “black rock” though…..
Will defo give you a shout when i am up though.

Think i know the marks you are on about. Keep the 🤫🤫 or every tom, dick and harry will be there.

Battery point……… gives me a heart attack just thinking about fishing it lol. Fair play for giving it a go, shame the fish were not playing ball. Always found that mark poor.
I like Battery. Prefer it in the dark though.

I think I also know of those marks 👀

It wasn't actually Battery JR, I like to fish the sand bank just back towards Avonmouth, in front the big house. It's not that predictable but does throw up some nice fish now and then......
Musky

lovely little mark that is. Are there many snags there still? think my old man is heading to the ledges tomorrow….
Can you still fish the tanks & rockingham anymore? Heard it got closed off..?

It's done me well in the past.......just not yesterday!! No real snags if you fish to the right (looking out to the channel) of the rocky/sea defense in front the big house
Ahh the Tanks ...that's where it all started for me. I was talking to Ace yesterday and he said you can still fish there, but best done at night or on the weekend as there is security there during weekdays. He also added it's a further walk now as they have a fenced compound which you will have to circumnavigate.
Good news is they haven't touched the bridge!
Musky

Smashing, eventful session and report. Enjoyed reading that. The bend in The rods took my eye straight away. That's a lot of tide pull!
Thanks Goaty! Yes a fair old pull on the flood and ebb there, tis a tidal estuary in a big tidal range area!

Had 7oz grippers on and even they were barely managing - it’s uptiding basically but also exciting when you get a classic drop back bite!

I can feeI a meet coming on 👍 ..... keep in touch and we'll get a LW and HW sesh sorted so it makes the BC session worthwhile- I'll check tides soon as I'm back from Cornwall so really looking at first week of December. To me that suggests MOD/ black rock (LW) and rock ledge (HW) although with JR's experience I'm sure he can help with the planning on that, but I know some marks that will work on a midrange BC tide. When I return from Cornwall I think we are on dropping springers so even a chesil bash maybe good (if we go south our Chesil Pete may join) .... weather dependent
I can't wait boys....
Musky
For once I may also be up for a trip 😄.... I fished up there Thursday, first time in 30years On the spot!... (rarely go up channel).

Unfortunately I arrived with a wrong butt section somehow 🙈.... So only using 1 rod.
Just dogs most casts..... Until a massive hail storm when the bait sailed down tide. 👀

It was a BIG fish, stood there in this biblical storm of hail and rain, I realised it was a very nice eel.
Slowly I was winning the tug of war.... Was gaining line between the periods of strong backward lunges..... Getting soaked for my pleasure!

Then..... It was gone 😢..... But there was still something there, just Much smaller?......
Another dogfish.... This one dead, crushed around the middle 😳

Got to say, that's a first for me, never had anything grab a good sized dog before!

I'll remember that session for a while.

So give me a shout lads if you do sort something...... I have unfinished business with Mr Eel 😄👍8769bbc9-28c8-4209-80f3-4bfc08bb5dc7photo~2.jpeg

There will always be some good eels there at this time of year .... I lost my PB grinner a few years back, great fight and when it surfaced it was 25-30lb, then it started spinning and the 50lb leader parted. Probably best as I wouldn't have wanted that beast on the ledge with me:oops:
Musky

There will always be some good eels there at this time of year .... I lost my PB grinner a few years back, great fight and when it surfaced it was 25-30lb, then it started spinning and the 50lb leader parted. Probably best as I wouldn't have wanted that beast on the ledge with me:oops:
Musky

Love a big eel. Lol.

Back