• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Weighing sling?

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Can anyone recommend a good fish weighing sling that would safely let me weigh larger smoothound or huss with minimum discomfort to the fish?
Ideally something that I could hang off scales suspended from my tripod and perhaps with a bit of padding to serve as an unhooking mat too?
I have a net one but struggled a bit with it last night and had to partly coil the fish up, which I didn’t like doing, ideally want to lay them full length.
Also ideally something that could be easily folded for transport as I don’t take too much bulky gear.
I’ve heard of the IKEA bag option but we don’t have an IKEA and I’d also rather something that was a bit kinder to the fish than a shopping bag!
Any ideas welcome!

Btw, have looked on Amazon and also at this one, but with postage it’s a bit more than I wanted to pay for what it is, though it’s sort of what I had in mind

I’ve got a TFG retainer sling for carp fishing mate, they would fit a decent smoothie in it easily enough. Not padded as such though, I picked my one up off Amazon fairly cheaply, searching for “retainer sling”

Can anyone recommend a good fish weighing sling that would safely let me weigh larger smoothound or huss with minimum discomfort to the fish?
Ideally something that I could hang off scales suspended from my tripod and perhaps with a bit of padding to serve as an unhooking mat too?
I have a net one but struggled a bit with it last night and had to partly coil the fish up, which I didn’t like doing, ideally want to lay them full length.
Also ideally something that could be easily folded for transport as I don’t take too much bulky gear.
I’ve heard of the IKEA bag option but we don’t have an IKEA and I’d also rather something that was a bit kinder to the fish than a shopping bag!
Any ideas welcome!

Btw, have looked on Amazon and also at this one, but with postage it’s a bit more than I wanted to pay for what it is, though it’s sort of what I had in mind

Darn it! If I knew you had posted that on here too, I needn't have strayed over to the dark side to reply!

Reel fishing have the Rapala one in stock for £19.99.

Ikea bag chuck it in the washing machine, weight exactly 4oz, folds away to nowt will hold anything and cheap, also handy for dragging a bag of cod home.
Cheers Pete. Suppose I could buy one online but we don’t have an IKEA close enough to bother with (thank feck).
Will it hold a hound full length though? I don’t like to coil them up if I can help it.

Cheers Pete. Suppose I could buy one online but we don’t have an IKEA close enough to bother with (thank feck).
Will it hold a hound full length though? I don’t like to coil them up if I can help it.
66lb stingers fit in one and so do 35lb tope the tails do stick out but they are safely in the bag....
I have a very nice old rapala net sling..... but frankly the ikea bag is better from a practical point of view.

Back