• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Wellies

Treeby

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
OK, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but just a decent pair. Usually get cheap Dunlop safety boots, but find they are not that strong, when digging (garden mostly). It doesn't take much to make a hole from the spade corner, if your foot slips a bit. Also, they tend to rub slightly, and in cold weather give me chill blains, which then make wearing them painful. Don't need safety toes particularly, and find they make your toes cold.
Any suggestions that are not too expensive, as I need 2 pairs, one for my eldest as well? Need them for general use around the garden as well as fishing and bait digging.

I wore a pair of steel toes i had from work, they killed me after a while.

Went to Winfields in Chester and saw decent pair of wellies reduced from £20 to £5 Regatta i think, only problem they were a size 11 and i am 10 but for that price they were coming home with me.

They don't sound bad. Would like to try some first, but will have to vote mail order for now.

Grubbs top notch wellies?
Ive got workline ones and they have been worn hard.
Work/fishing/digging/stock farm after 9 years they have just got a tiny weep on the right foot but they will last the winter ok.
Per year they have been good value?

I want something I can wear all year round, rather than only winter, so maybe not the very thickest
If your off digging you want a fairly stiff sole with ideally ribs very close together made in harder materials not with steel insole/plate as they cut through quickly due to pinching rubber between implement and plate.
Years spent digging graves teaches you that! had a shovel customised by Cauldwells as had gone through my new boots so they spent one through Wickes for me with a plate over each side.

My tree planting spits I weld a bit of round bar onto the tread?
I’ve planted many thousands over the years and still split soles.
Years ago an auld boy gave me some digging irons which were metal instep plates strapped to your boots.
Never split a boot in two seasons then some git pinched them!!

Vass seem to do a few?

The Glasgow Angling Centre don't seem to be short of a pair of two?

I gave up on muck Boots a while ago as the rand kept bursting from the sole of the welly, too expensive for that to happen.

Some other makes though and price points.

Not cheap but no metal? They seem to show up in a number of the online welly shops.

Always used dunlop but I always buy bigger and put some decent insoles in makes them comfortable and warmer and at the price they are I just replace as necessary I use them for fishing, digging and dog walking and they always last over a year
Pete

OK, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but just a decent pair. Usually get cheap Dunlop safety boots, but find they are not that strong, when digging (garden mostly). It doesn't take much to make a hole from the spade corner, if your foot slips a bit. Also, they tend to rub slightly, and in cold weather give me chill blains, which then make wearing them painful. Don't need safety toes particularly, and find they make your toes cold.
Any suggestions that are not too expensive, as I need 2 pairs, one for my eldest as well? Need them for general use around the garden as well as fishing and bait digging.
Good Thread Treeby - I could do with a new pair as mine were left t'other side of the channel, so this will be interesting! ??

Back