• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Wellies

Another suggestion from Arco?

They look good Thrash, but a bit short in the leg? I've bought safety shoes from Arco before - I found Arco damn expensive and the shoes fell to bits after 5 months. The Purofort boots are a lot cheaper elsewhere. There is also a brand called Portwest which look quite good:

Ahhh...sorry....didnt look at sizes. But yes they're great...cold day at the beach and feet warm and dry.

I use Percussion wellies, just the right amount of neoprene and really comfortable. Avoid the Jack Pyke ones the lining comes out of them. ?

I like the look of the Dunlop Purofort boots as well as the Grubs, but can't believe how expensive they all are. I've never paid more than about £20 for a pair before, but I guess you get what you pay for.

My tree planting spits I weld a bit of round bar onto the tread?
I’ve planted many thousands over the years and still split soles.
Years ago an auld boy gave me some digging irons which were metal instep plates strapped to your boots.
Never split a boot in two seasons then some git pinched them!!
I like the idea of a metal instep for planting trees. Like you, I have planted many thousands over the years, and usually use leather boots, as the soles are stronger, and the leather less likely to get cut. Not so good in very wet though, so have to use cheap wellies then, which never last more than a year. Could do with buying just right foot as that's the one that always goes.
Interested in how you "weld" metal to rubber soles.

They have then here....no idea about the site though but they take PayPal so if anything goes wrong youre covered.

Hmmm... Boots look OK, price is good, but I find that website a bit suspicious and think it might be one of those Chinese sites. No info on the domain via a Google search. Looks like it's one of those sites connected with GoDaddy.com and you can never find the company behind it. If there is no address or contact details, I avoid them. Had my pinkies burnt before. Thanks anyway Neil - wellies not urgent!

I like the look of the Dunlop Purofort boots as well as the Grubs, but can't believe how expensive they all are. I've never paid more than about £20 for a pair before, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I like the idea of a metal instep for planting trees. Like you, I have planted many thousands over the years, and usually use leather boots, as the soles are stronger, and the leather less likely to get cut. Not so good in very wet though, so have to use cheap wellies then, which never last more than a year. Could do with buying just right foot as that's the one that always goes.
Sorry mate I meant the bar is welded to the spit not the boot!
A bit like the flat bit on the top of a Schlick ?

I think Dek is referring to something akin to climbers crampons?

They look good Thrash, but a bit short in the leg? I've bought safety shoes from Arco before - I found Arco damn expensive and the shoes fell to bits after 5 months. The Purofort boots are a lot cheaper elsewhere. There is also a brand called Portwest which look quite good:
Never had a pair, was just googling up suggestions.

I've just seen 3 pairs of those Muck boots on Sports DIrect that @Thrasher mentioned earlier. All over £100, for a pair of Wellies??? And 2 of them were on offer - £174.99 RRP for one pair!! Robbery! Epecially if he reckons they don't last.

I've just seen 3 pairs of those Muck boots on Sports DIrect that @Thrasher mentioned earlier. All over £100, for a pair of Wellies??? And 2 of them were on offer - £174.99 RRP for one pair!! Robbery! Epecially if he reckons they don't last.
Muck boots are for dog walkers lad?

They might be better now, but I stopped buying them about 5 years ago, which makes me think the buckler wellies must be about that age. To be fair the safety new are on the way out, but still dry at the moment.
Still flipping pricey though.

Most of the farmers where I work use Muck boots, so its it's interesting to hear they are not necessarily as good as the make out.

Most of the farmers where I work use Muck boots, so its it's interesting to hear they are not necessarily as good as the make out.
Good or not, at £100+ per pair, they can stay in the store.

Back