• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast West Bexington 22/11/22 the plaice is dead

Just one last cast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
West bexington 22/11/22 the plaice is dead!

Monday was my Only chance to get out this week while the tide is building & between the storms so gave it a go.

Arrived at first light Strong wind (Nw) & a rough sea as expected.

A dumpy bag of shingle around the shelter just about held it down.

Opted to use just the 1 rod holding it to try and keep the line out of the shingle.

It soon became clear it was going to be a tough day.

Tried various weights & set ups , fixing the grip wires on eventually finding a smaller bait & 5 oz lead on 15lb line the best option.

Lucky if I got 5 minutes fishing per cast.

Shingled about a dozen times managed to escape by keeping rod up & pressure on all except 1 when leader knot snapped & I fell flat on my arse only to catch the leader & tackle several casts later.

My casts were also perhaps not far enough though it was rough out a fair way.

Not too bad for weed,

Baits (squid/Mack) came back untouched

Did have a different pull on the rod around lunch time & pulled in a manky fish carcass, possibly a plaice, how the hell it got on there I don’t know but it didn’t want to come off.

Quite a few others giving it a go by the time I had to leave 3,15 also employing the same tactic by the look of it. Don’t know how they fared.

So there we have it first blank for a while & tbh beyond my capability to fish today though it s always good to get out chuffed I got away without losing any gear.

PS posting as not many reports going on which usually means people are catching shed loads or nothing Today I was doing the latter.

Attachments

• 9289E1D6-4AD2-4158-A55D-E2B33F69B2D7.png
    9289E1D6-4AD2-4158-A55D-E2B33F69B2D7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Well done for the effort - good report, shame about the blank. 🎣🎣👍👍

West bexington 22/11/22 the plaice is dead!

Monday was my Only chance to get out this week while the tide is building & between the storms so gave it a go.

Arrived at first light Strong wind (Nw) & a rough sea as expected.

A dumpy bag of shingle around the shelter just about held it down.

Opted to use just the 1 rod holding it to try and keep the line out of the shingle.

It soon became clear it was going to be a tough day.

Tried various weights & set ups , fixing the grip wires on eventually finding a smaller bait & 5 oz lead on 15lb line the best option.

Lucky if I got 5 minutes fishing per cast.

Shingled about a dozen times managed to escape by keeping rod up & pressure on all except 1 when leader knot snapped & I fell flat on my arse only to catch the leader & tackle several casts later.

My casts were also perhaps not far enough though it was rough out a fair way.

Not too bad for weed,

Baits (squid/Mack) came back untouched

Did have a different pull on the rod around lunch time & pulled in a manky fish carcass, possibly a plaice, how the hell it got on there I don’t know but it didn’t want to come off.

Quite a few others giving it a go by the time I had to leave 3,15 also employing the same tactic by the look of it. Don’t know how they fared.

So there we have it first blank for a while & tbh beyond my capability to fish today though it s always good to get out chuffed I got away without losing any gear.

PS posting as not many reports going on which usually means people are catching shed loads or nothing Today I was doing the latter.
Thats just how it is sometimes, we had nicer conditions Saturday at Bexi, we found codling but at maxi range, nothing in the 60-90 yard usual area. They also showed a distinct liking for rag over lug or squid.
A mate of mine bagged up crossing the fleet using crab he had 15 in 6 hours.
Still not heard of any doubles and I reckon thats because the whiting are not there.
Odd year all round!!

Back