• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast West Bexington 24/1/24

Just one last cast

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
West bexington 24/1/24

Have been watching the weather this week looking for a gap in the winds & managed to get out Wednesday afternoon/evening, A mild day, cloudy & a building tide. Sea coloured & still rough, biggish breakers perfect conditions I thought,but the fish didn’t.

Frozen baits as no worm available due to the weather conditions earlier in the week. Fishing the high line due to waves & trying to get above surf.

Fished from 4pm till 1Am (just before high to low).

Baits returned untouched all night.

Lost 1 set of gear shingled & fell on my arse Lucky to get away with it several times.

Oh well there we have it my first blank of the year but as always it was good to be out, probably gonna skip February and return in the spring perhaps trying a little more lure fishing and broadening my approach.Mmmm we’ll see.

Good effort mate, at least you gave it a go, better luck next outing.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Shame on the blank.
Shingled? IE line buried in the shingle?
Yes as the waves break close to the shore they crash down and deposit shingle on top of your line unless you can keep rod tip high & cast far enough to pass over the breakers., have also heard it referred to as line dump. Picked up a great tip on here a few years ago, possibly from chesil Pete, by applying steady constant pressure with the rod arced over from a position high up bank the waves will wash the shingle back off the line gradually releasing it. Works most of the time and also gives you the feel of the power of ebb & flow. recasting every 20 minutes helps, if you’re Rod tip stops moving you’re probably shingled. Makes for a good workout if nothing else. Apologies if you already knew that.

Back