• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia West Mersea (Boat)

Craig

Reaction score
Hi all, had a trip out on Enterprise Saturday, it's a usual monthly trip for us, only 5 this week though so a nice and spacious deck for us all.
Set off nice and early, had rain all the way there then it cleared as we arrived at 6.45 ready for us to set off for a nice day afloat.
We had a fair steam out and anchored up for the first spot had a few smaller hounds, tope and the odd thornback, then we headed for another spot to try and change out luck.
Once we'd anchored up again it wasn't long before I watched a mates rod nearly disappear over the railing so I grabbed the butt and handed it to him, this is where it got interesting... We'd heard of a few different fish recently and this was one of them. Now I know alot of people will think this is crazy but he actually reeled in a small Conger of all things! This is the second one on the boat in the last week or two. We were surprised to say the least!
We then had a shower come over for about half an hour then the skies cleared and brightened up for the rest of the day.
After the shower, things picked up again with some bigger hounds and some sizeable bass coming aboard aswell as a couple of pouting.
For the last couple of hours we tried another spot but didn't have alot of luck there with the bites coming slowly but we still got a few fish.
All in all was a lovely day out with a few good fish and a surprise Conger for one of our group.
Can't recommend the skipper Chris highly enough, a lovely chap full of knowledge and enthusiasm plus a real passion for fishing, well worth a trip with him if you ever want a nice day out of West Mersea.DSC_6358.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_6362.JPG
    DSC_6362.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 11
Sounds like a decent day out bey sounds like something out there is trying to eat the straps ?

congers seem to be moving into a lot of new places last few years well done

There’s been a few strap congers (even a small stingray) caught off Hastings pier in recent times, I hadn’t heard of them being caught here in the past.

The Conger was definitely an odd one for the area, only the second one I've eve heard of around the coast there, the other one was on the same boat not long ago. They seem to be increasing everywhere recently, but that could be due to the commercial pressure on other species I guess, giving them and things like dogfish a chance to take over.
We're certainly not complaining, it's nice to see another species in the area at last.

Back