• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Weymouth stone pier

Steveburt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
So, with the weather forecast looking windy to say the least I'm planning on fishing from the Stone pier at weymouth tomorrow and giving the various rock marks a miss until the weather looks better. How should I approach this venue at this time of year? I'm planning on taking ragworm and a few perch size lures and spinners? What species other than the usual mini species could I reasonably expect to encounter, half decent wrasse, pollack or even gar?
Will post how I get on afterwards.

Good luck mate.
Depends what you are after, obvious the micro species will be there, maybe a late gar/mac, poss a bass as well.

Stay late and take a squid jig;) ?

I would think you would get a flattie, maybe a bass,,but like cap'nhaddock says take a squid jig mate

Just seen its going to be minus 1 tonight. Will that switch the fish off like in freshwater fishing?

Arrived at the Stone pier at 0715 hours. One other Angler there going for Squid. He hooked 4 and landed 2. Unfortunately for him the 2 he lost were huge! Had a quick go my self but struggled to get the lure to work properly /stay in touch due to the wind. Finished up at around 1300. Lots of fish caught... I lost count. Nearly a fish a chuck the whole day. Wrasse, Pollack, Pouting, and gobies. All caught on ragworm touch legered against the pier. Nothing of any size but still a great way to spend my day off. 2 angers arrived as I was leaving and one caught a garfish on a silver spoon. Will try Portland again or kimmeridge next week to try and get into some bigger Wrasse

Attachments

• IMG_20211126_114055.jpg
    IMG_20211126_114055.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20211126_112220.jpg
    IMG_20211126_112220.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211126_111910.jpg
    IMG_20211126_111910.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211123_151027.jpg
    IMG_20211123_151027.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211126_084701.jpg
    IMG_20211126_084701.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211123_144323.jpg
    IMG_20211123_144323.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 4
Arrived at the Stone pier at 0715 hours. One other Angler there going for Squid. He hooked 4 and landed 2. Unfortunately for him the 2 he lost were huge! Had a quick go my self but struggled to get the lure to work properly /stay in touch due to the wind. Finished up at around 1300. Lots of fish caught... I lost count. Nearly a fish a chuck the whole day. Wrasse, Pollack, Pouting, and gobies. All caught on ragworm touch legered against the pier. Nothing of any size but still a great way to spend my day off. 2 angers arrived as I was leaving and one caught a garfish on a silver spoon. Will try Portland again or kimmeridge next week to try and get into some bigger Wrasse

It's a female Black Goby, the black spots on the dorsal fins are the identifying features. The males have elongated rays to the first dorsal fin too. You'' need to know how to identify fish when you join the species hunt next year. There are several types of gobies to be caught there.

Interesting to hear of squid in daylight, I've caught them off Swanage pier during daylight but some people swear blind that squid can only be caught at night although boats park up within a hundred yards of the pier to catch them before going back in at 5pm.
I've caught them in bright sunshine from a West Bay boat to the west of Portland.

It's a female Black Goby, the black spots on the dorsal fins are the identifying features. The males have elongated rays to the first dorsal fin too. You'' need to know how to identify fish when you join the species hunt next year. There are several types of gobies to be caught there.

Interesting to hear of squid in daylight, I've caught them off Swanage pier during daylight but some people swear blind that squid can only be caught at night although boats park up within a hundred yards of the pier to catch them before going back in at 5pm.
I've caught them in bright sunshine from a West Bay boat to the west of Portland.
He caught the squid between 0715 and 0830 so low light levels still and was overcast. Planning to seek out a species book to help identify the different gobies, blennies etc

Last edited:
He caught the squid between 0715 and 0830 so dusk really. Planning to seek out a species book to help identify the different gobies, blennies etc

Stick a photo on here and we can identify it, make sure you show the fins.

Decent books are expensive, about £100 worth on the shelf here and some were secondhand.

Identification Guide to the Inshore Fish of the British Isles (Paperback)

by Peter A. Henderson , a useful book, for example, will cost you £25

Back