• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Whaddyathink....

hullcitytilidie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Got a new fishing partner local after my best buddy up and died on me, our first trip out at the weekend and I've been thinking of what gear to take.
Decided to try out a zzippy, a Primo Syncro in the original plum colour?
Not wanting to appear being a tart or anything so decided just to have a nice session without him thinking that I'm showing him up taking fancy gear to be the big show off or summat?
I bought this a while ago for £140 and tonight lapped in a 7/8 conoflex reducer and fitted grippy tape and a century reel seat on the reducer, just needs a bit of shrink over the ends of the tape to finish. Had to put a coat of bondaseal over the transfer as it was breaking down - waterslide?It feels nice and comfy, gonna try it out on the field tomorrow with 5oz. Whaddoyathink?
20220119_220444.jpg20220119_220501.jpg20220119_220543.jpg20220119_220702.jpg

Original length is 13'2" with another 12" stuck up the spout. It feels very good in the hand, no knocking in the joints but the test comes on the field in the morning.?

Apologies Hull - on closer inspection I see the perpendicular Synchro label in gold on black, like the 'graphite' and '2500' decals I've also seen on rods I've rebuilt. I've only seen the Primo Synchro before in white vinyl. My mate has pair of plum Primos and a spare in blue, all non Synchro. It's all very confusing! Perhaps deliberately so? The Zziplex back catalogue has so many variations and specials. With the number of questions still seen beginning "which Zziplex...." it appears the current range is no less confusing to those not fully in the know. Lee/Barbara could and perhaps should write a book, or would that remove some of the mystique/ smoke and mirrors?

Okay, in my naevity of not having used a multiplier or rod with a reducer, I thought you attached the reel at the very end of the rod then took the reducer off to cast, back on to fish and reel in, not attach the reel to it?
Yep.

Okay, in my naevity of not having used a multiplier or rod with a reducer, I thought you attached the reel at the very end of the rod then took the reducer off to cast, back on to fish and reel in, not attach the reel to it?
Totally depends on your rod, how you want to get the best out of it, what the conditions are like or your own personal preferences?
I have rods that do not allow a reel to be fitted to the butt anywhere except the reinforced position in the high position. Therefore if I prefer a low reel position, The reel has to be on the reducer.
This particular rod I want to utilise the full length of the rod, so intend leaving it in the rod with a reel seat on the reducer?
Some folk like to use one in exactly the manner you describe.
Some folk use one to raise the rod higher in the rest to get the tip higher and avoid the surf.
Others have older rods with large diameter butts that need a reducer to allow the fitting of their preference of reel seat?
So Yep or Nope - it is your choice?:unsure:

If you want replacement decals then contact Hugh Potter at Dragon signs
I contacted him a while ago and I have never spoken to such an unhelpful bloke in my life? He insisted that he would not send me the newer style decals I wanted as he considered that it might allow someone in the future to think the rod was younger than it was and would only sell me the original stickers?
He might as well have called me a thief or a rogue. I have no intention what so ever of ever selling that pair of rods, they will be left to my grandsons who also would never sell them.
My intentions were merely to rebuild them and make them look as nice as possible?
Who the fk is he to tell my how to decorate my rods? Those rods are instantly recognisable with or without stickers and in actual fact I even retained the old ones and protected them as well.
I bought elsewhere and always will.?

I drilled a hole in a butt cap to allow the reducer to fit and finish off the grip tape, so the reducer can be left in. I had to swap the Dave Docwra rod bag to a Century one to allow the now longer butt section to fit.
She casts very well, seems one of those that give more the more you put into it and got a few tings and a take home codling on Saturday. New fishing partner won't be coming again though, that's another story!??
20220120_120434.jpg

I drilled a hole in a butt cap to allow the reducer to fit and finish off the grip tape, so the reducer can be left in. I had to swap the Dave Docwra rod bag to a Century one to allow the now longer butt section to fit.
She casts very well, seems one of those that give more the more you put into it and got a few tings and a take home codling on Saturday. New fishing partner won't be coming again though, that's another story!??
View attachment 21888
Nice when an adjustment works and helps catch fish.

Semantics I know, and in the end "reducer" is a misnomer perhaps.
If its a reducer then it comes out for casting and goes back in to retrieve so becoming an extender.
Some of my rods have reducers that are taped in so they can't be taken out, thus they are both reducers and extenders at the same time.

Called a reducer because it reduces the rod in diameter and the reason for reducing the diameter was to allow for fitting the newfangled Fuji pipe winch reel seats. Or so I was told.
As for your experience with Hugh Potter I have to say that I've never had anything but good service and a bit of a laugh with him though admittedly it's a few years since I last spoke to him. He always asked for pictures of the rods to be rebuilt to prove their authenticity, and would only provide the original Cono-flex and Zziplex decals. The fact you were asking for more modern decals would have upset his sense of loyalty to both factories with which he had strong business links as their decal supplier. They're your rods and so you can do what you like with them but the decals had his original manufacturing rights so he had every right to refuse to sell you what in fact would have in his eyes been misleading. I admire him for that - others churn out decals that allow the less scrupulous to make convincing fakes of both iconic brands. If you'd bought a fake online based on the decals looking original you'd perhaps feel differently?

new fishing partner
Think you're too much of a Tackle Tart to allow me to accompany you on a skirmish Geoff.I'd have to upgrade my Daiwas,Greys Triplex and Imaxs before you'd allow me to associate with Turkish and yourself.??

Back